Cremation Not yet!

computedshorty

This subject can be seen in today?s Newspapers and Southwark Council Website.

Due to the rising costs some Crematoriums are going to stock pile the Bodies after the service to save the cost of the fuel that has to pre heat the chamber, then a continuous series of cremations will be held even days after the service had been held.

Those waiting for cremation could be kept in Council Buildings, in the coffin or body bags.

The Ashes normally are collected the following day but the delay could be days, as nobody will know when the cremation did take place.

This does question the viewing as all relatives may see the deceased put in the Furness.

Southwark Councillors have recommended two rises in the charges in a year.

It takes from 70 minutes to 200 minutes to do a Cremation, this is done as soon as possible after the service when the Mourners have left.

There will be extra movement of the deceased by transport and Bearers to a Refrigerated Store, and return at a later date.

These will add to the costs, will there be any saving at all?

The practice of hiring a Coffin, that is folded after the body is removed and replaced in the hearse, will have to be delayed.

A distressing subject but one that might give a great deal of distress to a relative if this is not known beforehand.

There is always this alternative.

Garden Burial

It is possible to bury a loved one in your garden. The law is contained in the Burial Laws Amendment Act 1880. A person who knows the circumstances of the death and has a lawful certificate of the cause of death must first register a death with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

It is then necessary to obtain consent from the local authority to enable the burial to take place. A body comes within the definition of "clinical waste" and as such cannot be disposed of except under the provisions of the Control of Pollution Act 1974 and the Environment Protection Act 1990. A licensed operator is usually needed but a local authority may waive the requirement in special circumstances. Remember it is a criminal offence to dispose of "controlled waste" otherwise than in accordance with the Acts. Before you consider such a burial stop and THINK what you would do if you ever decided to move!

It's an important subject. If you go to a cremation ceremony it is true that when the curtain closes the cremation does not happen immediately but DOES happen the same day. When you get the ashes back in the urn you see the date on the urn being the same date you ceremoniously 'said goodbye' to your loved one. To have a different date would - I should have thought - be quite upsetting to those who then wonder where the body was left for a few days.

I am interested in this thread and will be interested in the outcome. Thank you for alerting us. I do Humanist ceremonies so am professionally interested too!

Most Christian churches continue to uphold the belief that there will be a general resurrection of the dead at "the end of time", as described Paul when he said, "...he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world..." (Acts 17:31 KJV) and "...there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust."

silverfox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Might be hard to sell your house though

> computedshorty

I once bought a hospital for Nuffield Health - the lady (and I mean Lady with capital L) after which the hospital was named was buried in the rose garden. The sale & purchase agreement had a special clause that - forbade the purchaser to build over the Rose Garden or, if building was to occur then the body was to be removed to another site at the purchaser's expense.

Personally - I'm going for a burial at sea

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wouldn't want to get cremated. I wouldn't be

> able to rise on the last day I expect.

Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?

Thomas Aquinas wrote extensively about the mechanics of resurrection. His work still provides the Church with doctrinal answers to questions about what happens to those whose bodies/corpses are lost at sea or consumed by fire or even cannibals.

According to Aquinas, all deceased believers, whatever the fate of their mortal remains, shall be resurrected through God?s omniscience and omnipotence.

Burial.

Have you thought that there are so many people die of disease or incurable illness, should it be safe for the remains to remain there as now rights have changed giving the authority the option of using that plot again after 50 years, therefor disturbing any disease germs that might have survived?

Relatives look on the fact that a Grave is a lasting place that can be veiwed and place flowes and pay your respects.

But looking at graves how many do in fact get any person come there, as so many show no sign of care or flowers.

The intention is good but it can also be very upsetting for a relative to bare.

A Cremation would remove all traces of any contamination, even from the Ashes.

Regarding the storings of the deceased for later Cremation.

It is interesting reading Southwark Services Offered that Weekend Overtime rate is charged.

My own Funeral has long since been aranged and payed for in advance, as I have no decendants I do not wish to leave the arrangement and cost worry on the head of any far distant relative.

Not a subject that all like to disgus but we will all go there one day.