business flier posting through your door

untamedstylist

I think it depends on what the flyer is about. 97%+ of all flyers I receive are to do with cleaning, ironing, gardening, or fast food. If I got a flyer for a service/business that was for something different and that was visually arresting, it might attract my custom.

untamed,

Firstly, well done on having the get-up-and-go to start your own business - there are a lot of people who don't have that quality.

I'm with the earlier commentators who said you need to put it into sentence case; take a look at your competitors websites, very few use all caps, and the best of them certainly do not. Caps just always seems to SHOUT at me. And spelling is just so important - people (quite rightly in my view) judge companies by the quality of their advertising literature and assume that the service is of the same standard. If I see a crappy website, I won't contract the company because they appear to have low standards - simple as that.

Anyhoo, best of luck.

Totally agree with the others regarding the spelling being vital, and not using block caps.

I work in Desk Top Publishing, and using all caps is a big no-no. Firstly, it is seen as shouting, and therefore rude (think about how you might use block caps in a word in a sentence to emphasise that particular word e.g. Please do NOT walk on the grass). That?s the last thing you want your potential customers to think of you as.

Secondly, it actually makes the sentence harder to read and to understand due to the conventions of reading. This is particularly important when you?re trying to grab someone?s attention.

As far as spelling is concerned for the future, try typing things into Word first, which does have a spell check, and then copy and pasting it into whatever the appropriate programme is (or if you can?t copy and paste, then use the spell-checked version to check against). I do this all the time ? particularly when posting on the internet!

And best of luck with your business too.

Hi untamed, sorry I didn't get back before the thread ran away with itself. It's more about impression than science - you know that from your work as a stylist. And, if the photos are anything to go by then you know what you are doing there. I can see what you are saying about "prestigious" but I wonder if you could communicate that in another way. Could you refer to the well known salons you've worked in as a stylist? The insurance point can be made in a small print section at the bottom of the flyer. I don't accept the point that I think someone made further up the thread that was questioning why you would be working in this way if you were so prestigious. Many people in ED work from home and they may well be your market for your service.

If your flier can drive people to your website then that could easily result in more bookings.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Alec

i think if i refered to salons ive worked in on the flier id bein breach of somekind of rules and could be liable for sueing as apposed to putting it onmy web site as a history....

frierntastic: as for websites i think id have to say mine was by far the best from any competitors..... competitors doing anything at homeanyway, ive done my research thier..... ive seen many salon websites that arent as good.... i did take that all into consideration prior!

I don't think anyone's picked up appointments yet.

I don't think I'm particularly bothered by the caps, at least in the sans serife font used, for use on an A5 flyer. I can imagine some other fonts, even if mixed case, being off-putting. I think I'd try a line space before your web address.

Your website needs a going over too. I wouldn't be fanatical about turning it into grade A Queen's English -- wouldn't want to iron over your personality -- but at least get all the spellings and major syntax errors checked. I'll just restrict myself to:

1) Flash - I had to turn it on to view the site. I'm old/introverted/literate enough to find 'busy' websites annoying and/or stressing. It may better suit some of your intended customers, I don't know. Even so, though, I'd consider having a non-Flash version as well. I think it's maybe, just about, still conventional to do so (or was that last week? ;)). Some of your potential customers may also not have it installed as a matter of course.

2) Noise. Glad you ditched the music. But the mouse-over audio bits. AAARGH!! Cheap, inelegant, meaningless, deeply irritating, mindless, imo. I get computer sound output through headphones. And some of the site sounds, most so the louder single-squawk, just produce in me seriously unpleasant brain chemicals whose effects can last half an hour. OTOH, I'm definitely not part of your target customer set (Do you know who they are, btw?) so don't give undue weight to my reactions.