Bakerloo Line Extension Consultation

Renata Hamvas

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> if we remove our own self-interest...then the OKR

> makes more sense for investment/renewal by a

> country mile

I couldnt agree more, this are is a dead zone transport wise. Old Kent road seems like a more natural extension in my mind.

As taxpayers, we do pay for it of course. We pay for the development at Nine Elms / Battersea - in order to ensure maximum return for the developers of luxury flats and the speculators buying them off plan. These people need a huge taxpayer subsidy of course. Let's see how much 'affordable housing' gets built.

Otta Wrote:

> There are established communities and tax payers

> all around OKR. To read this you'd thinknot was

> completely uninhabited.

The 'opportunity areas' identified around OKR and Nine Elms / Battersea have with very little housing. This is why they've been identified for development. Of course people live in nearby, but these are not town centres like Camberwell for example. The residents of PC World and Toys R Us along with those of New Covent Garden flower market and the Nine Elms Lane car dealerships, have not been crying out for new transport or campaigning since the 50s for a tube extension.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There are established communities and tax

> payers

> > all around OKR. To read this you'd thinknot was

> > completely uninhabited.

>

> The 'opportunity areas' identified around OKR and

> Nine Elms / Battersea have with very little

> housing. This is why they've been identified for

> development. Of course people live in nearby, but

> these are not town centres like Camberwell for

> example. The residents of PC World and Toys R Us

> along with those of New Covent Garden flower

> market and the Nine Elms Lane car dealerships,

> have not been crying out for new transport or

> campaigning since the 50s for a tube extension.

If you google 'Old Kent Road Opportunity Area' you

seem to get a mix of local workers who think there

businesses are going to be swept aside and property

developers using the words 'opportunity knocks'

It all seems very Elephant Park like.

Otta Wrote:

> I get that you'd have liked to to Camberwell, but

> this thread is just sour grapes.

>

> Plus anyone arguing that Peckham isn't well served

> by trains are crazy imo.

Look, I doubt I'd have even used an extension to Camberwell particularly. But residents there been campaigning for a bakerloo line extension for decades and the possibility has been dangled in front of them a number of times. It's a massively under served town centre which should have been first on the list for any future extension IMO. Instead, once again (as with the northern line), loads of public money is going to dissapear into a development of 'luxury flats'. See who will end up profiting. It's not going to benefit the local community, it's going to benefit overseas investors and developers.

The very best we can hope for for the next ten years is a reopening of the Camberwell rail station, which has been mentioned in an official Mayoral document.

I very much doubt we will get a tram or even a guided bus (which may not be suitable for the route down from C'well anyway) so, gird your loins and grit your teeth and just walk!

• 1 month later...

How will re-opening camberwell station be helpful? I don't see it.

Will the station be in a different Thameslink railway line? My understanding was that it would be on the Thameslink line ie between elephant and Denmark hill.

If that's the case then the people that currently use Denmark hill would have the option of using either camberwell or Denmark hill stations but the trains will be just as overcrowded as before; if not more crowded. It's the same overcrowded thameslink line.

The trains will not be more frequent like a tube.

It will take longer to get from Peckham rye and Denmark hill to Elephant and onwards.

To me TfL offering this station as a 'consolation' to the bakerloo line is like offering a push bike when one was hoping for a porsche.

I assumed it would be served by trains coming from the Herne Hill spur of the Thameslink line. If so, this would mean additional services. Camberwell is a major centre and really does need a central train station imo. Really, there was a very good argument for bringing the tube there, but as the strategy on underground extensions seems to be primarily focussed on subsidising new private housing developments, that's never going to happen. This is the best next option.

I completely agree that Camberwell needs alternative tube or rail services because it is a bus hub and both Camberwell New road and walworth road are narrow and congested (unlike the OKR). The bakerloo line extension should be serving camberwell full stop. Unfortunately investors buying and maintaining empty flats on the OKR are more important than the people that live in the area so yes, the tube isn't coming; ever!

If the thameslink line serving the proposed Camberwell station went to Brixton (i.e. Herne Hill line) that would be an acceptable consolation. It would certainly better than what is available now but if it's on the current denmark hill/elephant thameslink line I don't see the point and believe the ?50/60m would be better spent creating a Brixton London overground station on that high viaduct (which would relieve a great deal of congestion in Camberwell). No doubt we will find out more about this station in the near future.