Violent Mugging in East Dulwich (March 2nd 2017)

Hoopoedi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How about carrying a small can of hairspray in

> your pocket....a quick squirt in the eyes will buy

> you valuable getaway time and it has no lasting

> effect.

Smart, although I think you forgot the brush, so you can give him a new look...

Dudes stop giving advice like that, it wont work, it will make the mugger more angry at you. And if at first he was to give you only a punch, he will now try to damage you seriously.

Just give that ?500 phone away and problem solved. Get an insurance and cover it. Then go complain to the Police and your MP on why the police is doing nothing.

Quite right!

All this armchair warrior nonsense should be ignored - it could easily get you maimed or killed.

I mean, hair spray, in a fight with four muggers coming at you - really?!!

You might get one - if you are lucky. Then his three mates would mess you up for it.

But, you probably wouldn't even get one of them. The effective 'range' of a can of hairspray is a few inches before it disperses too much and that's before you even start to factor in any breeze, which, by the way may just end up blowing it into your own face!

Oh, and you need time to get it out, get the top off and check in the dark to see which direction the nozzle is pointing in! By then you would be picking your teeth up off the floor.

As for carrying a knife - get a life!

To add to what Robbin said, I can remember my barrister sister advising me that any such self defence measures can land you in a heap of trouble if it's shown that you were carrying the object for self defence - i.e. if you haven't a good reason to have been carrying a can of hairspray, you can be charged with carrying an offensive weapon - it's the intent, rather than the weapon, you can be done for.

And anyway, as sensibly said, spraying hairspray in the eyes of one of four attackers would very much be waving a red rag in a bullring.

MEANWHILE I attended the local SNT meeting last night and they said they are of course aware of all this and although it is not right on their patch, believe it or not neighbouring ward police officers do share information. Do any of you go to your SNT meetings to speak with the police, and meet other neighbours in your area? They can give you information, and even when they can't because of legal/operational reasons, they can at least chat with you and let you know what they can and that they are working to catch these .... people.

OH, and guess what - they don't always come from local council estates! BIG shock there for you to digest, I realise, but let's be more intelligent than that, eh?

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To add to what Robbin said, I can remember my

> barrister sister advising me that any such self

> defence measures can land you in a heap of trouble

> if it's shown that you were carrying the object

> for self defence - i.e. if you haven't a good

> reason to have been carrying a can of hairspray,

> you can be charged with carrying an offensive

> weapon - it's the intent, rather than the weapon,

> you can be done for.

>

> And anyway, as sensibly said, spraying hairspray

> in the eyes of one of four attackers would very

> much be waving a red rag in a bullring.

Some people can't get over it unless they have some

measure of retribution.

But better to wait and have it cold - you have to give

them some reason not to try it again :)