Complaining

Twirly

If you complain (to a company) what do you expect to get out of it? Is an apology sufficient, or should you expect financial compensation?

I?ve had good cause to complain to a couple of companies recently. One took an order for an item that was on the shop floor at the time, but then found it couldn?t deliver. Not only did it not tell me that it wasn?t going to deliver that, and several other items (on our wedding list) in the first delivery, it didn?t bother to check when it could deliver the item ? I had to phone manufacturers myself to find out. So although we ordered in May, we only took delivery yesterday. And although I?m not going to name and shame, it was not a company you?d expect that level of service from. I am now waiting to hear how they propose to compensate me ? and I?m hoping for vouchers.

I am also trying to sort out problems with a lost Oyster card/annual season ticket. Having bought a new card, I took it to a tube station last week to register it (despite having done so online) as instructed by the Oyster call centre (after a series of problems that I won?t bore you with). I put my card in the little dip in the ticket office whilst I finished filling the form in and the chap took it. When I?d finished the form, the chap denied that he had my card. I insisted he did, he insisted that he didn?t (I started doubting myself, despite seeing him pick it up), I was asked to move to the next window and someone would come and help me, which I did ? but no-one came and then they closed the ticket office. I was still without the Oyster card. Fortunately there was a customer relations (!) chap in the ticket office, and although he also insisted that the chap in the ticket office did not have the Oyster card, after some histrionics from me, he agreed to go and check ? and reappeared with the card. However, the office was now closed, and I still couldn?t register the card! I was away for a long weekend, so only managed to do it today, so still don?t have the season ticket?

I put in a complaint, however I was thinking today about what I want the outcome to be. I have already received a verbal apology from customer relations chap and the call centre. What I really want is for it not to happen again, but I?m never going to know whether it does or not. So do I want money?

I received a call from the Oyster call centre just now, and there is yet another problem which means they are going to have to send me out a brand new card ? but they?re refunding me ?15 as a goodwill gesture.

When you complain, what do you expect to get?

Twirly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When you complain, what do you expect to get?

For the problem to be treated seriously and with respect and to be placed in the same position, as far as that is possible, as you were prior to the problem occurring.

Try this version...

Your complaint will be taken "WAY" more seriously

( honest )

If you complain (to a company) what do you expect to get out of it? Is an apology sufficient, or should you expect financial compensation?

I?ve had good cause to complain to a couple of companies recently. One took an order for an item that was on the shop floor at the time, but then found it couldn?t deliver. Not only did it not tell me that it wasn?t going to deliver that, and several other items (on our wedding list) in the first delivery, it didn?t bother to check when it could deliver the item ? I had to phone manufacturers myself to find out. So although we ordered in May, we only took delivery yesterday. And although I?m not going to name and shame, it was not a company you?d expect that level of service from. I am now waiting to hear how they propose to compensate me ? and I?m hoping for vouchers.

I am also trying to sort out problems with a lost Oyster card/annual season ticket. Having bought a new card, I took it to a tube station last week to register it (despite having done so online) as instructed by the Oyster call centre (after a series of problems that I won?t bore you with). I put my card in the little dip in the ticket office whilst I finished filling the form in and the chap took it. When I?d finished the form, the chap denied that he had my card. I insisted he did, he insisted that he didn?t (I started doubting myself, despite seeing him pick it up), I was asked to move to the next window and someone would come and help me, which I did ? but no-one came and then they closed the ticket office. I was still without the Oyster card. Fortunately there was a customer relations chap in the ticket office, and although he also insisted that the chap in the ticket office did not have the Oyster card, after some histrionics from me, he agreed to go and check ? and reappeared with the card. However, the office was now closed, and I still couldn?t register the card! I was away for a long weekend, so only managed to do it today, so still don?t have the season ticket?

I put in a complaint, however I was thinking today about what I want the outcome to be. I have already received a verbal apology from customer relations chap and the call centre. What I really want is for it not to happen again, but I?m never going to know whether it does or not. So do I want money?

I received a call from the Oyster call centre just now, and there is yet another problem which means they are going to have to send me out a brand new card ? but they?re refunding me ?15 as a goodwill gesture.

When you complain, what do you expect to get?

W**F

If you start with something like "I have used your company many times before and always been very happy with the service I have received, however, regretfully, I have to inform you of a recent experience I have had that has given me cause to raise a greivance..." it can get better results.

Not sure I'd want money unless it was to refund lost funds of mine

I have only really complained about unfair behaviour

Eg I've comlained numerous times about black cabs refusing to take me home despite their monopoly and requirement to take jobs if their lights on and the job is not too far away. In this case I want the driver to get a strike by their name or worse

I recently complained about sexist comments being made to me by an AA man. In that complaint I noted that all my previous experiences had been positive. They have given me a written and verbal apology. That's all I want. Money wouldn't do anything... So I guess it depends on u and/or the nature of the compaint

.... I received a ?10 cheque after I complained to tesco when I found a boiled cricket in my spinach, but really just the cost of the purchase would have sufficed

Woof - er, and your point is?

felt-tip, that is exactly how I started off my complaint e-mail to the wedding list company. They did apologise at the time, and said in a subsequent e-mail "Unfortunately I will need to wait until you receive your item before I can write your closing letter." It is this closing letter that I'm now waiting for. The item in question cost nearly ?300, and I could have had that money sitting in my bank account in the 7 months they've had it, earning me interest, not them, so I do want more than just a written apology.

I've been thinking about the Oyster card debacle, and I suspect that I'll just have to settle for a written apology, although if I can find the energy, I'm tempted to write out the entire situation in a letter of complaint. What I'd like is for their systems to be improved, and I'm a great believer in companies not being able to do that unless we let them know what is wrong, although I guess that I don't have much faith in that actually happening, hence my ponderings. Thanks for your responses everyone.