Royal Mail Sorting Office Closure Meeting..

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rico Back lives in Switzerland so he probably

> couldn?t care less about postal deliveries in ED!

Well he's being paid to be the CEO of Royal Mail, so whether or not he cares about them, the buck ultimately stops with him.

Obviously minions will do any investigating or whatever, but that has always been the case.

Hurrah finally had my important letter delivered two weeks after it was posted to me!

craigyboy71 Wrote:

> I received a batch of mail yesterday, but

> typically not the important letter I am waiting

> for that was posted first class on 24th

> September!

>

> craigyboy71 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've been waiting 10 days for mail. I gave the

> > Royal Mail complaint line a call this morning

> and

> > can't say I was reassured that things will

> improve

> > anytime soon! I'd happily go and collect my own

> > mail, but is that an option?

This week I have had only 2 days of delivery - Tuesday when I had two deliveries, by different postmen, and Thursday, just one delivery. Last week I also had only 2 days on which there were deliveries.

Since end July I have never had more than 4 days in a week in which there was a delivery, more frequently only 2 or 3 days. When we had a normal postal service I very rarely (perhaps 2 or 3 times a year) didn't have a delivery on each of 6 days a week.

I live in an inner city suburb, never impacted since end July by adverse weather conditions or by an epidemic which might remove postmen unexpectedly. As annual leave normally has to be booked months in advance the fact that the summer is a leave period should not (and over the previous 29 years did not) impact the frequency of delivery, but rather more the timing.

The Royal Mail delivery service (and I use that word quite wrongly) offered to us has been shameful. There are no excuses other than a complete failure of management.

I will not even try to go into the additional failures either to offer a reliable re-delivery service or to provide any acceptable form of collection service - also a complete disgrace and one which Royal Mail was explicitly warned of by our Parliamentary representative.

The ability to fail and not to care are a function of the domestic monopoly enjoyed by the Royal Mail (which was also enjoyed by them before privatisation). Re-Nationalisation of this shower would in no way obviate their complete incompetence.

Complaint is clearly not a remedy - this must be taken up by our parliamentary representative in PQs and ideally a reference to Ofcom.

I didn't think it could be right for post to be sorted en route, but apparently it's an official "productivity initiative" according to a Financial Times article on the web entitled "Royal Mail struggles to deliver new dawn"

"Royal Mail pledged to bring down weekly working time from 39 hours to 35 by 2022 with no pay cut, subject to successful trials of productivity initiatives.

One involves reducing indoor preparation time of mail bundles, so that postal staff do more sorting en route."

That makes some sense, but it's a short journey and it seems that the post is not necessarily being sorted in the security of the van. Goblinqueen reported regularly seeing "mail all over the ground being sorted into boxes" and I saw something similar myself this week, where two postmen were crouching down apparently sorting mail on the pavement before I received my postal delivery.

Having done quite a few Christmas postal rounds, sorting is surprisingly difficult and needs considerable concentration to do quickly and efficiently - it's very easy to make mistakes which mess up your whole sequence. Asking staff to sort post on the hoof is ridiculous and not fair on them or customers.

kiera Wrote:

> I quite agree, but from the Financial Times'

> article, it seems it was part of a deal agreed

> with the union - so therefore agreed to by the

> postmen?

Ah - then more fool them! I had enough of a headache getting it sorted at a desk (I was admittedly a very bad temporary postman) let alone in a jolting van.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> This week I've had post with my door number but

> several streets away so I don't think the sorting

> is working well .

Look on the bright side.

At least you've had post :))

There was a red van parked outside our house for quite a while yesterday afternoon. I don't know what they were doing but a while after they had gone i went outside and picked up a soaking wet letter on the pavement for a house down the road. It looked like Wimbledon Football tickets - I hope the match hasn't happened yet!

We had post twice this week, an improvement on once the week before. But still waiting on a parcel that was sent first class on 7th September. Beginning to fear it?s lost forever - gifts thoughtfully sent for my newborn (though not so newborn anymore!) baby :( I complained to Royal Mail who said they?d ask the sorting office to look for it (yeah right!) and that it?d be delivered in 72 hours. Obviously that time frame has been and gone.

Does anyone know whether outgoing post is being kept up to date or whether that's delayed as well? I posted something first class last Thursday, which should have been collected from the post box by 9am on Friday morning, but it's not yet been delivered. As things are, I didn't expect next day delivery, but I did think it might arrive the day after.