Royal Mail Sorting Office Closure Meeting..

jimbo1964 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Bic Basher Wrote:

> >

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > -----

> > > I would have thought the most immediate

> action

> > is

> > > for the Royal Mail to hire three more postmen

> > for

> > > the SE22 postcode area.

> >

> >

> > Just to note that postal workers aren't

> > necessarily men!!!

>

> I believe the Americans now refer to their non

> gender specific postal operatives as 'Letter

> Carriers'. Which sounds shit.

Many moons ago I was in a position to influence this.

Sadly the union rejected my suggestion of "posties" on the grounds it sounded like a breakfast cereal :)) :)) :))

No post to Upland Road all week. Bumper post Saturday including some important post sent some time ago. This 'service' should not be tolerated. Talked to one postman who was delivering post to the other side of my road and not to my side. No post today, Monday - maybe Saturday or Sunday?

Penguin68 Wrote:

> I think there are three issues here which are

> being confounded.

> [...]

>

> (3) Is Collection of undelivered mail from Peckham

> an acceptable substitute for collection from

> Sylvester Road? Here it is clear that the

> location, lack of parking and long queues already

> being experienced suggest that an alternative

> collection point more local to SE22 is an

> immediate requirement. It is this issue which most

> effects people and where it is unlikely that time

> will prove any remedy. This is the area where ED

> people have and will continue to suffer a

> significant degradation of service. It is here

> that effort (assuming the issue at (2) is

> resolved) should be focused.

Can missed deliveries not be rescheduled, either by phone or via the web?

KidKruger Wrote:

> Received the much-feared Royal Mail red card

> through the door ?we tried to deliver but...?,

> having popped-out for 20mins.

> Darn it.

> Was going to Peckham anyway, so hey no problem

> popping round the PO to collect my parcel.

> Queue from basement where I presume you collect

> parcels right back to street. One bunch of

> pissed-off people.

> Feck it. The t-shirt was only a ?10er. I can?t

> blow 2hrs of my life for that. I guess someone

> else will get it.

> Having seen this and realising that I don?t have

> such huge time slots to give away, RM is

> effectively off my radar now.

You could just go online and ask for a free redelivery...

singalto Wrote:

> I saw a postie yesterday who said he?s a casual

> worker doing deliveries to try and clear a huge

> backlog. When he said this backlog was due to the

> move, I told him the postal deliveries had been

> awful all summer. I wonder how much post was lost

> during the move....

Our postal deliveries were excellent all summer- it has just been the last couple of weeks where they have been atrocious and I had to formally complain

So annoyed with Royal Mail at this point. Bad enough that half the time they don't ring the buzzer when at least two people are in. Even worse when they leave important (to me) documents outside on the pavement, but now I've had no mail whatsoever for over a week, with the exception of one 'sorry you weren't in' (I was) slip with no tracking number, and a 'x' where the initials of the postman should be. So with so little info I can't even attempt to identify which of the 6 parcels I'm waiting for is, and which postman did such a terrible job.

Finally received a parcel today which was sent 1st class 13 days ago! Yesterday I got a whole other backlog of parcels, including one that wasn't addressed to us (different road entirely) and another that was left outside our door - even though I was in all day and no one rang the bell.

It really has been appalling service recently.

EDulwichGroove Wrote:

> So annoyed with Royal Mail at this point. Bad

> enough that half the time they don't ring the

> buzzer when at least two people are in. Even worse

> when they leave important (to me) documents

> outside on the pavement, but now I've had no mail

> whatsoever for over a week, with the exception of

> one 'sorry you weren't in' (I was) slip with no

> tracking number, and a 'x' where the initials of

> the postman should be. So with so little info I

> can't even attempt to identify which of the 6

> parcels I'm waiting for is, and which postman did

> such a terrible job.

'X' that must be Xavier...sorry- gallows humour has kicked in since I phoned the Royal mail last week to complain and I was told that things would improve the next day....

Two PO vans and several postmen with the mail in lots of boxes actually being sorted on the road at the junction of Worlingham/Crawthew this morning. The box on the wall stuffed full of mail

Then, surprise surprise, we get our first delivery for days with a heap of mail up to a week old.

What is happening here?

Had a highly important delivery (Royal Mail Tracked - what a joke) go AWOL during the ?move? from ED to Peckham. Decided to try the Peckham office, but with no

expectation of success. Queue of 25 people - my heart sank. But the young guy who served me truly could not have been friendlier or more helpful - bent over backwards to find the missing item. Exemplary service - even if despite his efforts he couldn?t track it down. Royal Mail 0/10 but Peckham sorting office counter staff 11/10.

No chance. I got to peckham sorting office at 6 pm and left with parcel at 7pm. Leaving behind a queue of people stretching all the way back to the front gate. With a security guard manning said gate explaining to some others that they can?t come in.

Surely it cant go on like this?

I am clear that we need, collectively, to complain to OfCom about this (I posted a link earlier). The entire community in ED is being badly let down by an enterprise which is required to deliver daily, Monday to Saturday and to deliver first class post 'next day'. Occasional lapses are forgivable but this has been a consistent problem in this area at least since the end of July. This seems an ideal moment for our elected representatives in the council and Parliament to jointly or severally raise this issue with Ofcom. The problems involved with missed deliveries and the failure to properly staff the Peckham Office is another dereliction of duty. This is ceasing to be 'teething problems' and becoming a total failure to plan. The option of 'redelivery' isn't one when postman are not visiting or passing houses daily. And it is one which is impacting all those (mainly in SE22) formerly served from Sylvester Road. This is a community issue and should have a community response.

I came downstairs today to find a postie I've never seen before unsuccessfully attempting to jam a very large packet through my quite small letter box.

I opened the door to get it, and he handed me the packet and a couple of other letters.

Around ten minutes later, he rang the bell and handed me another smaller packet (this one would have easily fitted through the letter box) and two more letters. He looked through his bundle and went off.

Around another ten minutes later, I found yet another letter on my doormat, which presumably he had returned to deliver.

No wonder deliveries are all over the place.

One letter was time-critical, from a bank relating to a switch of accounts. It was apparently posted nine days ago, and the switch took place yesterday so most of the information contained in the letter was completely useless to me.

GRRRRRRRRRR.

ETA: Surely it is common sense, even if you are a casual and have had no or little training, to bundle up items for the same house before you leave the delivery office? Or at least put them in house order?!

Having taken 35 mins to get here now been stood in a queue for another 35 mins and I got at least another 30 mins to wait. A total joke. It?s not even Christmas. I will be getting it Re delivered in future but I had to pick this up as it is finally a new bank card from having been scammed through the British airways data theft.

I have written twice to Helen Hayes... no reply as yet

Lynne Wrote:

> Two PO vans and several postmen with the mail in

> lots of boxes actually being sorted on the road at

> the junction of Worlingham/Crawthew this morning.

> The box on the wall stuffed full of mail

> Then, surprise surprise, we get our first delivery

> for days with a heap of mail up to a week old.

> What is happening here?

They have been doing this at the back of the 'closed' site on Pellatt Road every morning when I pass by on my way to work, mail all over the ground being sorted into boxes!

We live on Upland Road, near Piermont Green, and the service we get is almost non-existent. When we first moved here a year ago, I can't remember having any issues. The last 3 or 4 months have been woeful. Most days we receive no post at all, and when we do, it's late.

On average it's taking over a week for any first class mail to come through. Important documents and items, too.

Talking to Royal Mail about this issue is pointless as they claim ignorance. To take care of this issue, is there anything we can do as a community?

See my posts above - our next port of call needs to be OfCom - and I believe that a complaint from Councillors in the two wards mainly affected (Dulwich Hill and Goose Green) - possibly supported by our MP, is appropriate, as this is a failure impacting an entire community, rather than just individuals. Royal Mail has an implicit contract (it may even be explicit) to offer postal deliveries to residential addresses on 6 working days, and to deliver first class mail within a day of posting. It is clearly, and consistently, failing on that. Additionally regular one hour waits to collect undelivered mail (outside times of high impact, such as Christmas) cannot be considered acceptable. I would be happy for Royal Mail to be instructed to remedy this situation, and to be fined the value of any profit they have made from the sale of Sylvester Road, as an encouragement not to act so stupidly again.