Free or cheap things to do over Christmas holidays?

sillywoman

I had a similar post ...but just for younger kids...Dolly suggested I go to the park (see my thread http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,585695) ...which is ok in brief moments when its above 5 degrees...but not really feasible for younguns...I think Horniman might be open- which your kids might like...we will certainly get down there on one of the days.

best of luck!

The lights in south moulton street are also lovely and carnaby street are fun (with flying spacemen santa claus)...so your ones might enjoy that...easy to get to by east london line now from honor oak/forest hill ..if you change at canada water and then jubliee line to bond street. I think its worth a trip if you can stand the busy shoppers....

Natural History Museum, Science Museum and you can have lunch at Carluccio's which although a chain, always gets good reviews and is very family friendly.

Agree South Moulton Street lights are nice should you want to brave Oxford St this time of year! or even the lights on Bond Street are nice too - and restaurant choices on and around Picadilly.

Or someone on another thread mentioned the Winterwonderland in Hyde Park being really good, but I haven't been ... yet.

Hope that helps.

All good ideas mentioned above. Here are more that are free!

Museum of Childhood is free and amazing for kids and adults alike. Lots of space around and lots of toys to admire!

http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/

Tate Modern is another very nice museum. Free except for special exhibits. My kids 4 and 2 and half year old loved the Sunflower seed exhibit! And of course lots of paintings to admire. So much fun, you can easily loose track of time.

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/

"you can have lunch at Carluccio's"

A friend of mine was saying that the Science museum has areas with tables to sit and eat your own food, so you could make yummy picnics and save a small fortune at lunch time too (I suppose other museums probably have those areas as well).

What about brick lane? You could go and wander round spitalfields and the shops round bricklane- should be cool enough for older kids. there is qlso the rich mix cinema on bethnal green road which tho not free might be nice to dive into if its cold. Fridays are good days for spitalfields pottering. Now really easy to get to aswell w east london line to shoreditch.

AnotHer thought is the museum of london which has been revamped and has brilliant old footage of london on computer screens for older kids