nanny and christmas bonus?

When working as a nanny I always received a cash bonus.... anything from ?100 - ?2000 .. the latter was from a family I had been with for 5 years !! And they were both bankers !!

Although not expected, I think that most of my nanny friends at the time received a cash bonus and a few presents from the kids....

my brother who is my no means rich but i suppose you could call comfortable gave their nanny last year ?300 and then new nanny this year ?500 cos she's just amazing and the kids love her and she does over and above anything that's asked of her. i was asking him as i was querying about childminders and he said he thought cash bonus' was quite common? Sorry i may be totally wrong...

I've always got my (part-time) nanny a small token gift and a cash bonus. I think about a week's wages is right. Bear in mind you're their employer so if they've provided you a good service over the year it seems right to reward them, in the same way as any employer does with its employees.

this is v interesting. i can't afford a week's wages in bonus. i reckon nanny - who has only been employed for seven months - will get an extra two weeks' paid holiday at least this year for various reasons in addition to her contracted four weeks annual hols plus bank holidays so i didn't think she was doing too badly. but guess i need to top up with gift vouchers or something else.

I think it all depends on what you get yourself. If you get a big ( or infact any) bonus at Christmas then it is natural to tip your nanny and cleaner etc. However if you just get a bottle of hand cream from your boss, and have to pay for your own work christmas meal, then I dont think it is imcumbant on you. I always bought nannies something and gave them maybe half a days extra wages. BUt more importantly the children made them something. Nannies are part of your life and they usually know what your circumstances are.