/

horizon 2011

That's odd.. I have about six hours of programming on the BBC this week which I worked on, commissioned by the Beeb, transmitted by the Beeb - and about half of which, not only were the elements I provided not paid for (not a penny) but in addition I am required by contract to give half of anything I subsequently earn following transmission back to the company who didn't pay me anything in the first place to do the work.

But how can this be so, in the uniformly standardised and uber-fair world of everything pertaining to the BBC?

Who knows. I expect the Beeb were so busy having to check that their RADA grad got pointlessly paid the best part of ?200 and fed a Standardised Union Sandwich for the privilege of getting their hair brushed and sitting on a sustainable-forestry bench for a mute two-minute shot that they simply didn't have time to check whether the programme they just commissioned from the company down the road (on account of not being able to afford to make it themselves) wasn't made by ten year-olds working down a coal mine.

What capacity did you work in bob? There must be some reason why you have not been paid an up front fee.

And yes, I would agree that broadcasters don't check what the companies they commission are doing regarding pay and working conditions. Of course they always have the get out that they are only commissioning the programme, not making it and then you have freelance employees, too afraid of not working again to go to a union or employment commission to make sure these companies pay according to the law.

But just because there are production companies out there taking the P doesn't ever make it right.

And for the record.....minimum rates were abolished by both Bectu and Pact years ago. Rates of pay above minimum wage are a negotiated figure between employee and production company. But don't get me started on the pay deals of people like Jonathan Ross............

I think that's shocking bob. If you provide music you should be paid for that. If they use library music, or published music they have to pay a fee to the music rights organisation and publisher, as you know. They pull the same bs with writers as well. The first time writer is sold the 'opportunity' to gain 'exposure' but may get paid second time round, whilst some of the most established drama writers earn hundreds of thousands for writing one off drama series.

Well.. there it is.

Let us celebrate the 'small victory' here on this thread - fought and won on behalf of someone fulfilling an unskilled role taking no longer than an hour - but perhaps spare a thought for the other schmucks - ten ripples away on the same budgetary pond.

I did a BBC job the other month.

Had to be on location six a m in north west London. Luckily have motorcycle so got there easy and was allowed to park outside whilst all other actors were not allowed to park their cars around the area and the tube and bus was a good 15 mins walk.

Great catering and good breakfasts for everyone which is right and fair since most had to work hard.

Left the job nine pm, and had had a good lunch and evening meal and drinks available throughout.

The crew and make up and so on had to be there earlier and later than me to set up and clear up.

I got paid ?180. My agent took 20% plus 17.5% VAT and the employer took about ?50 for my National insurance contributions. My agent also decided to deduct ?50 towards my annual fee for appearing on their website.

So my ?180 turned into a cheque paid 3 months later for ?94. I have to pay my own taxes also, from the initial ?180.

Make of all that what you will. But I don't earn much (didn't even have to pay tax last year) and yet like every single other person on that set, we are all trained experienced and dedicated to making the best television programmes in the world. So there!