I was mugged on East Dulwich Grove -8:35pm 11.01.11

Jess-ED

Sorry to hear about this. I hope you are doing ok.

Unfortunately it sounds like we have a bit of problem with mugging in ED right now. I was mugged the other night on the way home.

I was walking up Oakhurst, guy came up behind me, threw me on the floor and stole my handbag. Pretty scary experience. I understand that there have been a few of these now with a guy targeting girls coming home on their own.

My advise, take extra care, if you are a bit late, take a cab to your door til they catch the @~**::@

Oh Shovel, that is hideous. Poor you. I hope you recover soon. Have to say I have always felt at risk on Oakhurst Grove. I am glad my commute no longer means walking down this street. Even in daylight all the large houses and quiet street feel imposing.

My latest attempt at trying to feel safer when coming home from dinner/bar etc., is to either not take a handbag or wear a slim across the body bag under my coat. I also only walk on one side of the road for a certain amount of time before crossing to the other side (obligatory glance behind me up the street to "look for cars") as a way to see if anyone is following... but would agree in getting a cab to the door if poss.

It's a fairly dark and quiet street but as has been said before I wouldn't get to hung up on any particular street - mine happened 20 yards from East Dulwich Police station....

Attacking a lone woman at night is just f*&^%$g cowardly. It really gets me mad that. Anyway - speedy recovery and don't let these scumbags get the better of you.

Ma Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh dear...ED is certainly getting unsafe. Never

> heard of so many muggings. Ive lived here 20

> years and loved it (and still do)

Er, this is probably because 20 years ago there wasn't an EDF to report the muggings on.

Very true Reg. Approx 20 years ago a woman was mugged just outside our flat. The policeman took her statement in our living room so I listened as they told her that there had been a spate of muggings of women walking home from the train station. It was thought that she'd probably been followed from the station until she was alone and somewhere quiet. Of course she didn't have a mobile phone then but she was carrying a very smart handbag which the policeman thought was why she was targeted. Had it not been for the policeman I wouldn't have known how common it was.

I've been reading all the posts recently about muggings etc. I have no idea whether it is getting more common, but I do know someone tried to steal my iPhone out of my hands when I was on the train from LB last night. Luckily I had a really good grip and they didn't get it. But certainly too close for comfort. I do think that reading these posts perhaps made me hold on tighter than I normally would have, although of course that's hard to tell. One thing is that I had downloaded mobile me as someone had suggested on this post, so if it had been stolen I could thank the EDF (and Jess ED's misfortunes) for perhaps making the situation better. So although in hindsight, I should have perhaps seen it coming, it's maybe worth pointing out what happened. Basically I was sitting in the bit where you can lock a bike/wheelchair with my back to the door. I was texting and when the doors opened at Peckham the guy came from behind and tried to grab it just as the doors were closing and he jumped out. I'd never felt uncomfortable to be texting on a full train carriage and I guess as long as the train is moving, it's reasonably safe as the thief can't escape. But just a heads up, be extra alert when the doors open, I was lucky. I think it's important to share these incidents as even if one person can learn from my experiences maybe there would be one less crime victim. So thanks for your post Jess ED and also thanks to the very nice guy who walked with me up Melbourne Grove afterwards as I was a bit shaken and I really appreciate his kindness.

Dear Jess-ED

I find what works particularly well if you think that you are being followed is to unexpectedly throw a back flip or cartwheel whilst shouting "i pity the fool". I have tried this myself and it completely works. I have evaded two muggings this way but did incur a fractured collarbone from a bad landing.