Lordship Lane street party for Royal Wedding?

silverfox

• 2 weeks later...

Street party.

It depends how you want to hold a Street Party. if it is to be held in a street, then a suitable place should be found there is no need to use an open road or highway, it could be held on a space such as a forecourt of a Pub, a Cul de Sac, or open green.

If you are thinking of having a street party for those who live in your street then you can hold it in a hired hall.

Think that any Street Party on a Street that is planed must have safety regulations in place, insurance, permission of the council and Fee. Remember the Organisers are held liable for it.

To hold one at a private place that you have hired all these are covered.

If you hire a Hall.

There are things that have to be considered, there must be a way of seating the guests and if food is going to be provided tables, it is normal that on these occasions that the food is prepared and given free by those attending, there is also the plates and cups or glasses. If there is to be dancing there should be ample space, and music be provided there would be electricity there and lighting for the evening, this venue is more suitable in wet weather.

I attended some in the Streets.

The night of the declaration of the end of the War fires were lighted in the streets the fires raged to the extent that the tarmac road covering caught light, and letters in the red post box got burned.

Days after Street Parties were organised for the afternoon and evening.

One for the end of World War Two VE Day against Germany.

Another for the end of the war V J Day against Japan.

We held our Street Party in Milo Road off Lordship Lane.

I can truthfully say that people came out and shared their meagre rationed food with everybody, it was a grand way to get to know those who you thought were a misery, to find they were the life and sole of the party.

In our case a piano was dragged along the road and to our surprise played very professionally by the most unlikely person, another played a banjo and another the Bones, and the singers made everybody join in.

Whether you are in agreement with the reason of the party or not, if you do not go then you will have no memories to look back on when others say what did you do then.

For my part I do strongly recommend it.

I'm all for celebrating the day. The kids will be off school and most people will be given the day off. I really don't mind the odd bit of flag waving to raise spirits in these difficult times. Those who are opposed to it can exercise their right to abstain.... Aren't we fortunate to live in a free society? We ditched the Royals once but were we any happier? Clearly not, as we welcomed them back like a long lost brother! Having a Queen really isn't so bad. Besides, any excuse to bring our community closer together should be encouraged, not vilified.

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think Sue should organise it, what day is it

> anyway?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You're bloody joking, no way am I organising anything connected to a Royal bloody wedding :))

Oh no I see I have capitalised Royal, what does that mean???

expat Wrote:

> >Well I LIKE the Queen.

>

> But She is not getting married

I appreciate that expat. Thanks.

But since I like her I'm inclined to not mind her rellies too much. So I'm generally pleased, I quite like a good wedding, and I'm delighted at the extra holiday.

So there.

Again.

legalbeagle Wrote:

> expat Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > >Well I LIKE the Queen.

> >

> > But She is not getting married

>

>

> I appreciate that expat. Thanks.

>

> But since I like her I'm inclined to not mind her

> rellies too much. So I'm generally pleased, I

> quite like a good wedding, and I'm delighted at

> the extra holiday.

>

> So there.

>

> Again.

xxxxxxx

But are you organising a street party, LB?

:)-D

Dreadful thought. I and most people I know are not keen on celebrating this, it's just a wedding, we pay enough to the royals in our tax anyway, so the idea of being inconvenienced by road closures would be the last straw. sorry.

thats 62p out my wages paying for something that has nothing to do with me :(

tax has already gone up and now we must pay for their wedding? how about giving us the right to vote on who the "prince" marries, thats worth 62p i say, vote on it like Xfactor lol

The ?0.62p is the total cost of the monarchy to us each, annually. I don't believe that the wedding is a state occasion, so that will be being paid out of existing money, probably Duchy Of Cornwall income. Your tax also go towards the pay of the prime-minister, do you want a say on what he calls his children or who they marry?

Sod all this chitter chatter its a street party! Whats not to like, I'm and I know many of my friends in East Dulwich are fully behind it, though as people have mentioned it might be better on North Cross Road!

Good on those who are willing to pitch in i'm sure my house will be happy to provide some cakes and other eats!

benwiggles Wrote:

> Sod all this chitter chatter its a street party!

> Whats not to like, I'm and I know many of my

> friends in East Dulwich are fully behind it,

xxxxxx

So you and many of your friends will be organising it then, yes?

As there's been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and a mixed response to this idea I think we've reached the stage where it is now too late for well-meaning amateurs to organise this event.

What is now required is someone with good organisational experience of putting on events to step up to the plate and I would nominate Sue.

Sue, The Goose is Out, has the qualities we need and her posts seem to be hinting she's dying to be asked to step in at the 11th hour and sort this out.

Unfortunately I'll have to withdraw my services as I've now rented out my house to a Japanese TV Crew.

Does anyone have the phone number for the Sushi lady outside Moxons to advise me on stocking my cupboards?

PS - where can I buy Kate and William souvenirs on the Lane and thereabouts? Tea towels, China cups, ashtrays etc. This must be one of the biggest opportunities for the independent shops for years.