Memory

Sue

I wondered as well, how did it go, "roll up in a little ball on the floor,you are a little seed, and now you are growing

very tall, wave your arms about and in the wind and see how long your branches are.

I showed my mum when I got home , I was asked what did you do at school today.

After showing what i had done, she said" oh dont be a wally"

I have been told by a nurologist that the human brain can handle up to 7 separate srands of thought at any one time. Problem is that the brain gives them all the same priority.

So if you have sevem ideas in your mind as you walk upstairs for your glasses and, on the way, notice a wonky picture, or a mark on the carpet one of the 7 ideas may be replaced by that latest thought - leading to those senior moments of arriving in a room and thinking "what the hell did I come up here for.

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have been told by a nurologist that the human

> brain can handle up to 7 separate srands of

> thought at any one time. Problem is that the brain

> gives them all the same priority.

>

> So if you have sevem ideas in your mind as you

> walk upstairs for your glasses and, on the way,

> notice a wonky picture, or a mark on the carpet

> one of the 7 ideas may be replaced by that latest

> thought - leading to those senior moments of

> arriving in a room and thinking "what the hell did

> I come up here for.

I believe it's actually 7 + or - 2 (i.e. between 5 and 9), though the definition of "items" is harder to pin down.

It's why, for example, our phone numbers are divided up into segments, each segment is an item, but string them all together, and we struggle. So we are more likely to remember 020 8693 2130 (as the brain sees it as 3 items, not 11 digits), but we'd struggle to remember 02086932130 - it's too long, it's 11 items. At least that's what they said when I did my psychology degree a couple of decades ago.

Mrs Twirly despairs at my memory (or lack thereof!)

She'll mention a VERY pregnant guest at our wedding .. in April last year. You'd think I'd remember a big pregnant woman at my own wedding? nope !

She'll mention a weekend in Bristol and a sail on a boat with friends of hers (well ours now!) and I deny all knowledge of ever being there.. despite the fact I used a photograph of Mrs Twirly and I .. on the boat.. taken by the friends in question.. with Bristol in the background as my facebook profile image for many months !!

And in the mornings, I'll get ready to go to work, pick up my Oyster card/phone/rucksack/lunch/all of the above then in the space of 30 seconds put it down somewhere and lose it.. then spending the next 15 to 20 minutes hunting for it/them again!

am 40 going on 90 I think !