New crime site launched

drew

Given the topics on the forum of late, I thought many of you would be interested. It provides good factual information on crime - with statistics down to each individual street.

I tried it this morning and it worked fine ... I guess its pretty popular at the moment, as I am currently having trouble getting access as well.

I see this backfiring horribly.

It should be quite easy from this to identify individual crime victims, which I don't see as being a prticularly good thing.

In this area especially, considering some of the stuff you see on here, it'll no doubt lead to increased vigilantism.

I think people are scared enough of being a victim of crime even though it's still statistically unlikely, so increasing fear isn't a particularly good thing either.

You can see it leading for more calls locally for 'more bobbies on the beat', which are also a waste of money.

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In this area especially, considering some of the

> stuff you see on here, it'll no doubt lead to

> increased vigilantism.

What sort of "vigilantism" are you expecting? Groups of men patrolling Lordship Lane with pitchforks?

Again, mentioning the pitchforks isn't meant to be taken literally, but I for one think too many posts on here are downright ugly and it's a losing battle trying to balance them

Some good hard facts are always a help, but by the same token half a picture can be worse than no picture. There is, to my eyes, a thirst for bad news out there and it's not hard to imagine many people looking up their postcode to go "aha I knew it! There is crime in my area!! " without looking at wider trends

And for anyone with a more balanced view and a willingness to combat crime, I'm not sure how these figures help - do you go to a police station and say "boys and girls in blue... look!! get your act together"

I'm neutral about the crime site itself... but I do wonder what the real point (rather than aspirational "communities working with police force" rhetoric) will be

This would be quite useful for knowing where there's been burglaries recently actually. You could check the map for where'd been done recently, wait 1-2 months and there'd be a bunch of shiny new stuff in there.

Intrigued to know how this 'increases transperency and acountability' of the police too. These websites don't come cheap, especially when paid for with public money. Would have paid for a whole lot of actual policing.

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

> Wow, this is great!

>

> East Dulwich, September 2010: 341 'suspicious' men

> seen in Goose Green Area.

xxxxxxx

Would love to know how they define "suspicious" :)

What do you reckon their criteria are?

I can't even get onto the ED part of the site, it took forever to load, then came up with a blank page :))

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> >

> Given the prevailing mood on here lately, I

> wouldn't be surprised. As things stand the South

> London Press website is more pleasant reading than

> many of the threads on here

Given that the South London Stress website never seems to report anything happening locally until some considerable time after the national press, if then....