Center Parks (Longleat) with a 14 month old- experience/advice?

Evening all,

Husband, myself and Cheeky Sebastian are thinking of heading off to Center Parks next weekend- Husband and Cheeky are very outdoorsy, hence the attraction. Also, people with kids seem to flock to it. Has anyone ever been? Good/bad experience? Is it worth the almost 400 big ones for a long weekend? I am reluctant to fly off for a short break (nervous pregnant lady etc) and like the idea of being able to go swimming, cycling and do outdoor things with our newly toddling toddler.

We went about a year ago to Longleat on a special deal.

Good things:

Grounds are lovely.

We stayed in an Exec lodge thing which was rather nice and had a cleaner.

The activities did seem pretty good.

The pool was fab.

Cycling looked fun.

Big free adventure playgrounds everywhere.

Bad things:

The restaurants were either meh, high street usuals, or overpriced rubbish, which really surprised us for a company that markets itself on having places to eat with organic, good quality produce.

Lots of the activities on the website didn't run in January, and we didn't know that till we'd booked as you don't get access to the booking till then - you could always call them to find out what they run.

Cleaner wasn't very good!

The kids loved it and was quite relaxing to be away from cars etc. Overall, we had a good time, and with a toddler, you'd be less hoping for lots of activities anyway.

Hi,

we went there last autumn, little one wasn't quite toddling but it was great. Perhaps a bit different as we went with a group of friends who don't have kids so did a bit of splitting up and taking turns to go off and do things, but we really enjoyed it and it was really easy. My daughter loved the pancake house and the pool and riding about in a little trailer attached to a bike - pretty hard work riding all that up the hill tho!

K

We went ages ago when my eldest was just 12 months. From what I remember it was good fun and we enjoyed cycling around the grounds (she in the trailer). We had a two bedroom cabin with kitchen and spent most of the time relaxing and doing nothing!!! Daughter was a bit young to go on the massive rapids slide but enjoyed the pool and all the playgrou d facilities. Have fun.

We went to Centre Parcs Elvedon Sept 09, kids were 15 months and 2.5ish - loved it. We didn't do any of the activities you have to pay for as the kids were too young to appreciate it, but had a lovely time cycling round the grounds, going to the outdoor playgrounds and swimming every day.

I took food with us for dinners, but we did end up eating out more than we thought we would. Food not fantastic (but not bad), the benefit is that dining with kids is made as simple as possible and it was very stress free. We went for a week offpeak, was brilliant as quite quiet and not overrun with older kids as it was termtime - I'm not sure it would be as nice in school holiday time.

We did Elvedon when boys were 13 month old and 2y 7 mth (fairly sure Pickle and I discussed it back then!). We loved it, boys loved it. All we did was swimming every day, and cycling with the boys on the back of the bikes. Took all our own food as it's brutally expensive and not particularly nice. Although MrD and I did have a curry one evening which was lovely.

We stayed in a new style Exec lodge, but got upgraded to a house as on arrival found a JCB digging up the road right in front of our lodge. I wouldn't stay in one of the cheaper options as thery are pretty grotty.

Next weekend is the start of half term so will be more expensive - it's a real rip off in school hols, they want ?900 for royal wedding weekend instead of less than ?400 for example

Fun but not sure it's ?400 worth of fun

Longleat is Centa Parcs' flagship park. The site is the largest centra parc. I think it's better than Elveden because the cycling is more challenging and the facilities are spread out. Many of the paths are very steep but unavoidable if you want to go down to the Sports village and lake unless your acomm is down there (or you take the mini-train which runs most days). You cannot drive your car around the park after you have dropped off your luggage and your car has to stay in the main carpark during your stay unless you can prove disability. In contrast, Elveden is quite flat and the main facilities are all the same place.

You can hire bikes with a waterproof trailer for your toddler but they do run out if they are busy so you have to get there early or pre-book - you can get into the carpark and use the facilites from the morning even though they say in the material you can't. You just can't go into your villa.

Villas are spacious and as someone else said the cleanliness can depend on the cleaner although over the years we have only had one dubious cleaner. But things are quickly dealt with if you complain and most of the villas have been refurbished over the past couple of years.

It is worth going this time of year just to swim at night outside in the hot swimming pool under the stars with the mist of steam rising up from the pool. If you go out early or walk in the quiet areas you will see deer; and ducks and squirrels will tap on the window for food in the morning.

Just one word of warning is that it is very easy to get lost at Longleat. The signage and map are not the best and when you head for your acomm in the dark on bikes it is quite easy to spend a few hours wandering around. The first time we went we left the pool at 5p.m and didn't arrive at the villa until 10pm. Our 3 yr old rode very slowly on his bike, we underestimated how far away the villa was and the paths are not the same as those when you drive there in the car. However, our villa was the furthest away from the pool and so it does depend on where your villa is. Just take some torches with you.

There is lots to do but almost everything costs. I thought food had got better as some brand name restaurants have been intorduced. Food and atmosphere is certainly better than Elveden.

I hope you have a good break.

we've been to whinfell once and longleat loads of times. Whinfell amazing for the red squirrels and the pheasants. Longleat closer and less rainy so it wins with us. If you book a house on the outer edge of the site you typically see the deer 2-3 times a day. My kids love to experiment with which foods draw which animals.