Back pain and breastfeeding (and sling carrying)

I spend my days either carrying baby on right arm facing out or with him on a sling and breastfeeding a lot. My back is killing me - especially between the shoulderblades. Can anyone suggest some stretches or suitable exercises? I could do my yoga DVD but am too knackered to do more than few minutes of anything.

I also suspect my nursing bras all need to be replaced - none fit properly which may be making matters worse.

wrap your arms around your chest, each hand on top/back of opposite shoulder, elbows stacked on top of each other (if you're that flexible, if not, do the closest approximation). Your arms will sort of make a V shape with the elbows as the point of the V. This is to stabilize the area so your shoulders don't "drift" while doing the stretches.

1. In a controlled manner, drop your head down towards your arms. Imagine your neck lengthening. To deepen the stretch tuck your chin towards your throat. Hold for 45-60 seconds. Go back to starting point. Repeat 2-3 times.

2. Turn your face so that when you tilt your head down it goes towards your right armpit. Hold for 45-60 seconds. Go back to starting point. Repeat 2-3 times.

3. Tilt your head so that your right ear moves toward your right shoulder. To deepen this stretch you may let go of your shoulders. While sitting on your left hand (stabilizes left shoulder) use your right hand to gently pull your head closer to your shoulder. Don't force it. Hold 45-60 seconds. Repeat 2-3 times.

4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 with left side.

If interested, I am a massage therapist with a small local practice. Please PM me for details.

Try to get it sorted as soon as you can really, I ignored mine thinking it would go away and it started causing me a lot more problems with headaches and tension in the neck and back. I breastfed for 2 years, and towards the end I just couldn't take it anymore. And also when your feeding always sit with your back straight and face forward, don't twist your body or lean over baby.

Best of luck to you, x