Castor Oil...

Never done it but never heard good things about it either, just brings on the squits, which not good if you do go into labour.

Power walking as best you can, especially pushing around any others you may have but really it is time. I was 15 days over with my first and demented, 8 days late with nos 2 and nos 3 stormed in 4 days early - hooray.

Just sit it out and enjoy the relative peace. Good luck.

Ive a brand new pack of raspberry leaf tea if you want it :-)

If you were to use castor oil and it does bring things on really fast etc as mentioned above, does that increase the risk of rupture? Definitely worth researching first, especially given that this would be your first VB.

My C Section (emergency) was a good experience so for me personally I have no concerns at all about having another (elective), however, I can understand if you didn't have a good experience your thoughts on a second will be totally different.

If you do go down this route make sure it definitely won't put you at higher risk :-(

A couple of my friends swear by clary sage - you add some of the oil to a bath apparently. I'm a bit sceptical, however that said they both went into labour naturally the day after a clary sage bath - worth a try! I think you can get it at Healthmatters.

Good luck! xx

I had some reflexology after trying all the 'traditional' methods (excl. castor oil)...2 days later I had my little boy. The woman doing it actually caused me to have a contraction while she was pressing some point on my foot. Amazing as I was a complete sceptic. My little man was 10 days late and I fought tooth and nail against induction (but don't get me started on ESTIMATED delivery dates....). Good luck SB, maybe give the castor oil a miss x PS PM if you want her details - although I had to travel to Covent Garden to see her.

Ps re:raspberry leaf tea, as I understood it, it works to make contractions stronger/increase tone in uterus once labour has started (and helps it along) rather than induce labour. No harm in drinking it though....not sure how long you need to drink it for best effect.

SB, I bought a bottle of castor oil & had it on standby as a last resort because I wanted a second home birth so needed to avoid induction which only happens in hospital.

In the end baby came at 41 plus 1 so didn't need it.

I did a lot of reading & know someone that used it with success (& had a fast home birth), but have to say I was nervous about it as opinion seem to be very divided.

You can have my bottle if you like, can't think why I've kept it really. I'd say keep as a very last resort & don't take too huge a dose.

M

Xx

i used Clary Sage oil at around 40 weeks, probably in too high a concentration really in my baths and on my pillow (and my scarves and clothes i happened to be wearing)...and i went into labour very suddenly and strongly at 40+4 -everything was over in 1hour and a half...I'm not sure if it was the oil tbh, but may have been!

ALTHOUGH...if it was that that had that effect, i wouldnt recommend it...everything was so rushed, and baby was in distress, and although everyone thinks i was so lucky to have a quick birth i did find it quite traumatic.

Perhaps try it in small amounts, or with a professional.

x

I used 2-3 drops of clary sage & the same of jasmin essential oils in the bath from 39 weeks - run your bath, then once taps are off add to the water. Didn't do anything drastic, but when I finally had my first a week late my labour did start an hour after I'd got out the bath (been using it for two weeks though remember)!

I wouldn't use it (CS) neat, or in big doses but I think it's fine if used according to the guidelines - that goes for adding it to a base oil & using to massage your lower back too.

You must be careful not to use at any other point in pregnancy, or incorrectly once at your due date.