Poss dislocated hips at 8.5 months

akc74

We have just had a routine 8 month check to be told we need to be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon as the asymmetry of my son's leg creases suggest possible dislocated hips. We need to go for an x-ray and/or ultrasound to get a clear picture.

I think this is reasonably common (?) however isn't it usually picked up at birth or the 6-week check? I remember his hips being checked on both of those occasions. I am now very anxious about the thought of braces, casts and other such things I have heard about, given he's a big boy now, and very much more aware of what is going on around him.

It is probably slightly dangerous to post here, as I may be inviting horror stories, however I think it is best to understand a bit more what we might be dealing with. I have been assured I should get a letter in the next week or two, so hopefully a prompt appointment. Luckily (I think in the circumstances) my boy has been rather slow developmentally in terms of his movement, and is not pulling himself up yet - luckily in that I don't think it would be doing him much good to bear his significant weight on his legs.

Thanks in advance.

First thing - don't panic. Leg creases are only one of the markers and does not automatically mean there is anything wrong with your son's hips. Is one leg visibly longer than the other? That is another marker.

My little girl (now 9 months) was born with Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip - DDH. Her hips were dislocatable - not dislocated), this was picked up at birth. She was in a Pavlik harness from when she was 10 days old up until she was 3 months old ? in honesty it was hard to deal with at the time (for us parents rather than our daughter ? who was oblivious fortunately) but it feels like ancient history now and her hips are perfect so it was worth the short term angst. We were seen by the Kings paediatric orthopaedic team who were all brilliant. As far as I recall (from conversations with the Kings staff) the treatment for older babies is often different from the harness that we had to use, but its just as successful. If treatment is needed you will be in such good hands

Try not to worry for now as it?s so easy to imagine the worst? perhaps in the days leading up to your appointment do a bit of research on the treatment options just in case (the Steps Charity website is useful) and get all your Q?s planned out. We found that as soon as they realised there was a problem with our baby?s hips they wanted to put the hip harness on there and then so we had no time to get our heads around it and think about what we needed to ask.

I hope you get good news at your son?s ultrasound but if he does need treatment you will all get through it and in the long term it will be so so worth it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any Q?s. Good luck

I had it as an infant.

I had been under treatment for somewhat severe cub feet and my ankles had been in corrective casts (can't remember what you call them :-$). The day of my appointment to have the casts removed, they took them off and propped me up to see how well my newly corrected feet looked and lo and behold, my hips were wonky. Hip displasia. Can you believe it? From one issue to the next, my poor mother. I was probably around your son's age and also a "healthy" sized baby. The only treatment that I know of was a plastic diaper thingy, although I'm sure there was more it definitely wasn't invasive. No surgery or anything.

Anyway no horror stories, just wanted to put you at ease about the future....... I walked normally at the normal age, have had no issues medically and because I was so young when they treated me I have no memory of it all. For me, it's like it never happened. My mom has a theory that both the cub feet and the hip displasia had something to do with me being a big baby. Then again, my mom has a lot of theories that I ignore so who knows.

akc74

We had the exact same thing with our little girl, leg creases not matching up at 8 months despite no problems at the earlier checks It was really obvious once it was pointed out but we had the x-rays and all was fine, the consultant we saw (at the Evelina at St Thomas') said it was quite common for kids to be sent in with non matching creases, fingers crossed it'll be the same for you xxx

akc74

I'm so sorry to hear about this, it must be such a worrying time for you.

The above posts sounds very positive, and all I wanted to add is that IF there is a problem as far as I know the treatment is very effective and relatively straightforward.

I can't recall if it was the same thing, but a girl I used to work with had a son who had to go into a cast for several months at around 8 months - one of those casts that holds the hips and legs firm, with a bar between the ankles. I remember her (inderstandably) being very upset after the diagnosis and when the cast first went on, and she took about a month off work to look after her little one. However, he very quickly adapted to the cast, and found ways to get around, and play without showing any distress. In the end when it was removed he was 100% cured so she felt it was all totally worth while.

On a much lesser level - my youngest had Metatarsus Adductus, diagnosed at around 6 months old - this is when the bones in the feet curve inwards, so the feet look banana shaped and the child tends to walk on the outside edge of each foot to a lesser or greater extent. It is caused by lack of space in the womb/baby lying in a funny position. She had been in special shoes (straight last) since 12 months old (now almost 2.5). The shoes are straight along the inner edge so they gently push the feet into the correct position. The improvement has been amazing, so she is likely to be signed off soon, you probably wouldn't notice the problem now if you didn't know about it. When she first went into the shoes it was so upsetting - they were much more solid and heavy than the little soft leather shoes she'd worn up to then. Having been up and walking at 11 months she went back to sitting on the floor and crying and I felt so bad. She was supposed to wear the shoes for 12 hours a day, but I had to start off at 30 minutes and build it up over 2 weeks. So hard as I wanted to correct her feet, yet felt so upset by her distress. In actual fact by the end of the first month she didn't mind the shoes in the least and now loves her shoes so I struggle to get them off her!

The guys on here were so supportive and reassuring during those first weeks - thank you to all of them.

So, whatever happens, don't despair. If he does end up having treatment try to focus on the long term result and take each day as it comes. Children adapt incredibly quickly, and he wont remember any of this once it is over and done with.

Really hope that in the end it is a false alarm, but if not try to hold on to the thought of how lucky we are as parents to be able to get help for our little ones.

Hugs, M

xx

Gosh, thank you all so, so much for taking the time to post...so nice to hear back, and a real mixture of different stories. I am really going to have to try to relax until the time comes - but Molly, you are so right - we are very lucky with the help available. I just bawled my eyes out watching Comic Relief in Kibera - puts a little bit of perspective on things...