Glengarry Road - Police Cordon

cgeds

Hi there,

This evening police cordoned off Glengarry Road from both sides (they are just leaving now) and men with automatic weapons and I think a battering ram entered a house and at least one person was taken away in cuffs. Quite dramatic and upsetting as you can imagine. Does anyone know anything more about this?

c

Hi there,

Just posted the same thing - we were stuck within it and there were at least a dozen officers, they wouldn't let anyone out into thw street. Took one person off in cuffs and searched/questioned another.

c

We should all be glad the police are doing their job and flushing out criminals! We live at the top end of the road and have seen 'suspect' dealings a couple of times now, not that this is evidence enough to suggest criminal activity, more a hunch really. What IS actually scary is what happened to me last month - attack and mugging outside my front door whilst putting the key in the lock. East Dulwich is lovely but there are some dodgy folk about. Please be careful!

This is just idle gossip and nothing to do with police incident but I parked at the top end of Glengarry Road on Saturday afternoon while the missus ran into William Rose and witnessed what I can only describe as two 'crackheads' - man and woman, buying something from a couple of people in a car. They then wandered off further down that road.

2+2=5 but worth noting.

nicko Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is just idle gossip and nothing to do with

> police incident but I parked at the top end of

> Glengarry Road on Saturday afternoon while the

> missus ran into William Rose and witnessed what I

> can only describe as two 'crackheads' - man and

> woman, buying something from a couple of people in

> a car. They then wandered off further down that

> road.

Whike this case may, or may not, have been a drug deal there is no doubt that drug deals are carried out on street corners in East Dulwich - and seem to me to be more overt and blatant. This implies that the dealers (and customers) are not concerned about police action. Discussions on the subject on this forum have, broadly, taken a liberal, anti authoritarian stance that such activity isn't important.

However, if the "broken window" theory is believed then ignoring these low level crimes sets a general tone that leads to the next level being ignored and so on - eventually ceding control of areas to criminality. Drug gangs and associated rivalry for territory and power involves guns. Stating the b******g obvious involving guns leads to their use, injury and death.

Stronger policing of the low level drug deals might reduce the likelihood of gun crime in the future.

> 2+2=5 but worth noting.

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> However, if the "broken window" theory is believed

> then ignoring these low level crimes sets a

> general tone that leads to the next level being

> ignored and so on - eventually ceding control of

> areas to criminality.

xxxxxxxx

I agree with this, but do we have any evidence that the police are deliberately ignoring the drug dealing?

Cuts in funding for the police aren't exactly going to help the situation, though.