Directions from the M40

catzac

Hi folks, looking for some directions tips! I have family visiting me in ED next weekend and they are asking for the best route to here from the M40. As I don't drive, can anyone let me know the best route?

Thanks

Cathy

I take the A40/M40 to go to my parents and have been doing the route for about 8 years from SE1 and now SE22.

My preferred route is to stick on the M40 until it turns into the A40 and just keep going into central london. It's not usually that bad - tends to be worse coming into london on sunday pm - mornings are ok. As you approach Euston Station get in the right lane and go down Southampton Row (i think) through russell square. You will then get to Holborn.

You then have a couple of options:

a) keep going down high holborn and over waterloo bridge and then to ED through Elephant and Castle/Peckham.

b) take a left and go over holborn viaduct and through the city (very quiet on weekends :)) and then over London Bridge and then to ED via Bermondsey/Peckham. I generally do this route because it tends to be quiet in the city.

If traffic is light I can get from Uxbridge on the M40 to ED in about 1hr 15 ish.

alternatively, to avoid the congestion charge, come in on the A40 and over the westway but come off and then follow signs for Shepherds bush/white city, follow the one way system A3220 via Holland road which will then cross Kensington High Street and curve to the left via Pembroke road. At the end of Pembroke road turn right down the Earls court road,which will cross Brompton, fulham and kings roads before it goes round the embankment and cross at Chelsea bridge. You can then either go round via Vauxhall and the route suggested above, or go through Clapham and Brixton, up Dulwich Road via Herne Hill and into Ed.

Google maps is really good reference for blowing up and printing off for exact details of any of these routes.

I used to visit my mother a lot in west london and so always went via Brixton, Clapham, Chelsea which is this route in reverse.

There's no congestion charge at the weekend. Coming in, especially at the weekend, stay on the A40 all the way down the Marylebone and Euston Roads to Kings X then do a right by Kings X Thameslink down the A201 down past Clkerkenwell, Smithfield, Ludgate Circus, Blackfriars Bridge (all the same straight road)all the way to Elephant then take your pick. No, or next to no, traffic in the City on a weekend. Easily the quickest off the routes although Trizza's looks better than Hugggers' which is quite frankly mad at a weekend!

I would recommend m40, m25, m4 right into central London along Cromwell Road. It's the quickest way into the middle of London as the motorway comes much further in than the M40. Turn right down earls court road and follow the one way system to the river. Then along embankment, cross vauxhall bridge, oval, camberwell.

So, M40 A40 onto the Westway and follow it down to its end then the second left (Lisson Grove/Road then 1st right (Marylebone Station in front of you) down to lights and take the right and then 2nd left through lights and follow down (through more lights)taking a left onto the Edgware road and to Marble Arch, Hyde park Corner,Victoria Station, Vauxhall Bridge Road/Bridge,Oval,Camberwell and home.

This is the most direct and congestion free route I came up with after an Aylesbury story.

Enjoy

Scott

Hi, Dont forget that there are football games at Wembley and the london marathon this weekend so I would avoid the A40 as this will be very very busy!! Come down the following route - M40, M25 (towards Heathrow), M4 right into central London along Cromwell Road. Turn right down earls court road and follow the one way system to the river. Then along embankment, cross vauxhall bridge, oval, camberwell. I do this route most weekends and find it the most straight forward.

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Been doing this journey for years - M40 / A40 into

> London - exit for Central London and pass

> Paddington Station, Lancaster Gate, Marble Arch,

> Hyde Park Corner, Victoria, Vauxhall Bridge, Oval,

> Camberwell, Dog Kennel Hill, East Dulwich.

xxxxxxx

I've been doing the journey for years too, and I use the above route when I need to avoid the congestion charge.

If it's a time outside the charge, I also often use the route via Euston, but you have to remember to keep in the right hand lane at Euston Station in order to turn right down to Aldwych, and then need to get into the correct lanes round the one way system onto Waterloo Bridge. Easy when you know the way, maybe less easy if you don't.

Don't like the Cromwell Road route as whenever I've tried it the traffic has been terrible, but obviously if there's congestion or diversions elsewhere it might be preferable.

> Don't like the Cromwell Road route as whenever

> I've tried it the traffic has been terrible, but

> obviously if there's congestion or diversions

> elsewhere it might be preferable.

I used the M40-A40-Westway-Marylebone route for years but found consistently heavy traffic (& endless traffic lights) all the way along the A40, then more traffic jams along Marylebone Road. The cut-through from Euston to Aldwych is a good tip though.

Leaving London for the M40/M6 I always take the M4 exit, which is far closer to ED than M40. Just have to suffer the traffic jam on Warwick Road in Fulham, which is ever-present but fortunately not too long.

you can cut through the cromwell road congestion- instead of continuing down earls court road, at the cromwell road/earls court lights turn left but get into the right hand lane and immediately turn right, follow road which curves left at end, take right at roundabout and then 2nd left, take 2nd or 3rd right ROSARY GARDENS which is straight through to crossing fulham and kings road. then you can choose to go to embankment or again, wiggle through to battersea bridge. Look at goodle maps to clarify this route as i am doing it from memory.

I'm from Aylesbury and work in White City so have been doing this journey for years - I second Firth's route. You could do a back route from Vauxhall Bridge but you need a map reader next to you if you don't know the area very well.

A40 right onto Baker Street, cross Oxford Street, turn 2nd right into Lee's Place mews (secret taxi route), onto Park Lane - Victoria - Vauxhall - Camberwell New Road - Grove Lane - Dog Kennel Hill.

Best after 8pm.