independent midwives - who aren't homeopaths!

Kes

Bit scared of posting this... not trying to start an argument but here goes...

Following on from the various threads about getting a better birth second time round I've had a little google for independent midwives. I assume the point of going for this option would be to have more choice and to find someone with a similar outlook to you who you can feel comfortable with. So I was a bit surprised that all the people I found said they were also homeopaths.

Now I know a lot of people believe in homeopathy and I really don't want to open a can of worms here but I'm a scientist and I would feel much happier with medical care from someone who, like me, believes in an evidence based approach and doesn't see homeopathy as fitting into that.

So - does anyone know any independent midwives who aren't also homeopaths? Or am I looking for a combination that doesn't exist? I'm not even pregnant but after last time I'd like to know my options before I even get started!

Thank you and please be gentle...

K

....runs off and hides under a lab coat...

Now I hadn't thought of her - she was my NCT teacher! Her team have delivered 2 of my friends babies, but she was a bit funny with me when she heard I'd had a c-section so not sure I'd be comfortable with her unfortunately. Thanks though.

I recently used this group: http://www.independentmidwives-southeast.co.uk/

They are not homeopaths - they might use some homeopathic remedies within a range of other pain relief/aids etc but sure they would totally respect your wishes if you said you were not interested! Feel free to pm me if you want more info. I found them amazing support for both ante and post natal care.

ps Caroline Flint's Birth Centre went into receivership in December....

Edit to say and they were truly fab for the actual birth too! Only people I met who weren't remotely phased by a number of supposed 'risk' factors but treated me as an individual....and support came without pushing any particular agenda...

New Mother - thank you! Perhaps I was too concerned about getting flamed on here, seems like as soon as you mention the H word on the internet people start getting shouty!

Snowboarder - thanks for that - I had looked at their website previously and thought they looked really good but I was put off as one of the ladies says she practices homeopathy. As you say I'm sure they wouldn't insist I used it but it's more that I'm not sure I'd feel totally confident that other things they said/did were based on solid evidence if they had chosen to also practice something that isn't - if that makes sense? I know I'm probably writing off a lot of very good midwives here, but I couldn't stump up that kind of cash for someone I wasn't confident in. Glad to hear they were so good for you though.

K

Kes, they were my midwives too both for the twins and latest baby. They certainly are very up on the latest research into most issues, which I found very helpful yet able to help me reflect on what wS right for me at each point. Although many of their clients will use acupuncture, hypno birthing, relexology, aromatherapy / essential oils, herbal remedies or homeopathy none of it is pushed on you!

HAve a meeting with them, it's free.

They made such a huge difference for me ESP handling hospital phobia and breastfeefing difficulties

Sally spent more than 3 hours with me just before Xmas when she must hAve had so

Many things to do and rene spent hours inc best part of a night with me when I was admitted some time before my edd

Just a thought, but I had independent midwives for my first birth but was with the Brierley for my second birth. I personally found the Brierley to be surprisingly better on a number of counts than my well-respected and recommended independent midwives. And, they don't cost you a lot of money.

As I say, just a thought. Independent midwives are great if money is less of a focus!

citizenED Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> or you could have a look at Verona Hall.

Verona Hall was my midwife and I couldn't recommend her more highly, an excellent midwife, a truely wonderful woman and still now 4 years on a very good friend. Verona is local, and was on hand for us at any time of day - if you'd like to chat about anything inmore detail feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number.

All the best xx

Thanks for all the suggestions, and for not flaming me! What a lovely lot you are!

I've found the website for everyone suggested and I can't find any mention of Homeopathy on Sofie Jacobs site! So they do exist! Has anyone had any experience of her as a midwife though? The websites makes it sounds more like a support/Doula service, certainly something worth looking into though.

The others all sound great and I'm sure they are excellent midwives but Verona Hall's site says she uses homeopathy to aid progression of labour and one of the Phoenix ladies was a homeopath for 15 years before becoming a midwife - although the others on that site don't mention it.

That's not to say that I don't think these people can be good midwives as the experiences of people posting here shows, but last time I got a lot of conflicting opinions and "facts" that my background in human biology and evolution tell me just aren't true and I now find it pretty hard to trust any medical professional. I certainly don't think I'd have faith in someone who thought water diluted in water could aid the progression of labour when it took LOTS of drugs last time. Even if everything else they said and did was excellent there would be that doubt in my mind and in that case I'd be no better off paying a small fortune for a specific person than I would be taking my chances on the NHS.

Fidgetsmum - that is really really good to hear! If I do get pregnant again I'll be right on the phone to them I'm just not sure how likely it is I'll get them as I'm over in Nunhead and not very likely to to be suitable for a home birth.

Money certainly is an issue which is why I'd only do it if the person was perfect for me and as I said it's just a bit of research in advance at the moment anyway.

I guess the conclusion I'm coming to is that there are very few independent midwives who'd fit the bill for me but that it may be worth talking to some of them if the time comes or at least to those who may work with homeopaths but don't trumpet it themselves.

Another point that occurred to me is that perhaps some only offer it because it's something that many of their potential clients want and while it won't work for the reasons it's claimed to it won't do any harm and could well be very beneficial as a placebo to those who believe in it, helping them feel calm and in control. Would be interesting to find out! I hadn't intended this thread to be anything other than a look for recommendations but I think perhaps I feel a blog post coming on, will let you know if I ever get round to writing it!

er I think the 2 glasses of wine and general lack of sleep are getting to me, I'm rambling, hope that all makes sense and thanks again for responding!

K

Kes I was going to post just that - an imw is likely to work with anything that her clients find helpful

And if you think about the power of the placebo then they ate likely to have witnessed all sorts of success after using it, power of the mind !

There are some very good arguments for medical professionals using placebos to treat all manner of things (studies have even shown it to work when they tell the patient it's a placebo) but current dogma is that it's unethical for doctors to do this.

It would be very interesting therefore if midwives were doing exactly this in the full knowledge that the treatment was placebo. In some ways I'd have a lot of respect for that as it would show a great deal of skill in managing the very important psychological component of birth, it would however logically seem unethical and deceptive even when done with the best possible motivation.

Sorry Fuscia I've wandered off on a theoretical point now (blaming the wine again) which was what I was trying to avoid all along in this post. Ultimately anything that is right for you and helps you feel calm, in control or less passive is a good thing, I'm just struggling to find people offering what is right for me.

K

Re Sofie Jacobs...I did antenatal classes with her so no experience of her practice as a midwife but I know she has loads of experience of deliveries. I'm sure that if you asked she could put you in touch with people for references. Would love to have had her for my labour if we had been able to!

We had Sofie with us for labour support for our first birth and yes it is a bit like a cross between an IM and doula. She's brilliant, very experienced, calm, knowledgable, evidence based etc. She came to hospital with us and alhough she cant replace he kings midwives she stayed with us the whole time which was very reassuring (unlike kings who had to leave often, busy ward) and by the end was acting like a team with kings midwife...although she cant do any internal exams and has no official legal standing during the birth. Worth giving her a call and seeing if she migt be rigt. I'm not sure she's doing much labour support anymore (she only used to take on one a month so she can guarantee she'll be available for your birth) as she's so busy with antenatal classes but may still be doing some.

If you're in Nunhead, you may be in the catchment for the Forest Hill Road Group Practice and the Oakwood midwives. They are community midwives belonging to Kings, based at the surgery, and have been described by the Guardian as the 'gold standatd' of midwifery! They support home birth but will also come to King's with you for births, including C sections. I am with them and have received superb care. The other pregnant women I know have been amazed by the way I've been looked after, eg all appointments at home, getting to know the team, long appointments to discuss birth plan. Most importantly they offer continuity of care.

Another vote for Oakwood! This is my second pregancy and I think they've been even better than they were with my first 2 years ago. I've always found the GPs fine and have never had a problem getting an appointment on the same day (as long as I've called in the morning) but we don't go that much and have heard a few less than favourable comments on this forum...

There are some great GPs there and others that have been a bit less inspiring, but I've been surprised to read some people on here saying it's awful. The appointments can generally be got at short notice, as crystal says, and the odd locum has been poor, but otherwise no real complaints - certainly better than the practice I moved from. The midwives make it worthwhile anyway, to be honest.

Good luck!