Baby names

Hero is traditionally a boys name, as is Paris. Never heard Hero used for a girl before. Not sure I agree with the appropriation to girls but then again, I like the name Sydney for a girl and that is also traditionally a boys name.

Didn't read the book - will clearly have to now!

Tully was the only boys name we could both agree on at the time. I had a secret hankering for a boy called "Tolly" after the boy in the 'Green Knowe" books (childrens series), but Mr SW wouldn't agree. Did like 'Tully' though so Tully he is!

girls names i loved but discarded this(last) time around:

Summayah (Bengali name?...i once taught a little girl of this name)

Arwen (though after the Lord of the rings films, i didnt want people thinking it was after that)

and Nina, Joanna and Thea as more 'normal' but rarely heard names these days.

Rebeca, Angel (my daughter name,for my first daughter this was the perfect name as it was a blessing for us).

Esther,Amalya,Maya,bella--This are some of my preference but i know you will find the right one for your daughter.You will gest know as a mother.:)

All the best

I had a whole host of Spanish names lined up, but missus mockers reasoned (somewhat biasedly) that as the mocklet's surname was Spanish the first name had to be Irish Gaelic.

So out went Enrique, Marta, Fernando, Xavier (that we both really liked), Eva (ditto), Jaime, Rosa, Pedr?n, Margarita, Jes?s, Angel and many more. In all fairness though a lot of spanish names sound rubbish when anglicised.

I did struggle with many of the gaelic ones, especially Grainne (sounds like something you say to the aspadistra in the adventure game) and fiacra (odd), Cillian (sounds like killing). But loved Aoife (though i always spell it wrong (except this once, but had to look it up)), Naimh, Dillon, which her nephew nabbed first and quite a few others.

Ironically her neice born 6 months before hand has a spanish name, Liliana!

Managed to get away with a spellable scottish name in the end, I love a great British compromise (between an irish lady and a spaniard!!).

MP: LOVE the name Cillian, yet another one Mr B vetoed. We had a similair problem with Portuguese names sounding a bit naff when anglicised, we liked Adriana for a girl for about two minutes. No idea where we got Sebastian from, it's not overly Iberian, I don't think.

I was talking to my Mum about this, in any case, because we've all got slightly odd names. My sister is Lorelai Octavia, for example. I was going to be called, not joking, LAMIA. Off all the names...very nice, but to be called after a poem about a mythical snake lady...well. I think I dodged a bullet, with the first name thing, thats the thing about having mad hippie parents.

Saying that, Cheeky S has about a million names, one of which is Dallas. Yep. Sorry kid.

EDmummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Worry away, Zeban.

>

> As well as Irish names, I also like the name

> Sydney and Adelaide for a girl but as I am

> Australian and children are dual citizens, family

> would find them difficult and they would not sound

> quite right if they ever decide to live in

> Australia.

>

> My two boys have Old Testament names and we are

> often asked if we are religious or Jewish (no to

> both). I always find that funny.

Hi Edmummy - I'm Australian as well with a baby boy who has both passports :-)

My friend in Brisbane, named her girl Sidney - so just spelled differently to the city. And I thought that was quite cute!

My personal favourite girl's name is Maddison Grace. My surname is Kelly, but I would still consider naming my girl Grace Kelly. Think I can pull it off? lol

Sebastian is quite common in Spain, but you're right, I don't think it's specifically Iberian. Nice name though. Seb for short is quite cool too.

Lamia, lovely ring to it, but yep, it is a bit like being called Incubus or Gorgon or something ;)

A quick swizz and it's Greek apparently meaning 'revered', and definitely coming into vogue

oooh, cool.

piers doesn't rank at all :( I take it's US, would love to see something similar for uk, in the meantime I guess we have to make do with http://www.yournotme.com/

8000: Rory spread thus

7000: sebastian is spread thus

Which doesn't tell us a great deal other than both names went a little out of vogue about 20 years ago as name tastes broadened, that old people die, and that for whatever reason nobody was named either Rory or Sebastian during WW2 and it's aftermath, did everyone get called Winston and Monty or something?