Hilda Smithers [Smethurst]

Can anyone help find Hilda? She is a long lost relative of mine. Her age would be late sixties/early seventies.

She lived in Elsie Road, East Dulwich in the 1940's and 1950's. Her father was called John. Her correct family name is Smethurst which had been corrupted in a past census to Smithers. Alice Smethurst, my grandmother married my grandfather Benjamin James and lived at 102 Landells Road and then 15 Whateley Road. John Smethurst being Alice Smethurst's brother. I lived at 46 Archdale Road until I married in 1963.

Hi Jeff,

I am Hilda Smethurst of Elsie Road, or I was before I married.

My father was John Smethurst and my nan and grandad lived at 129 Landells Road. My grandmothers name was Elizabeth but was called Bessie sorry dont know my grandads christian name I only ever called him grandad

and he died when I was round about 12.

We lived in Underhill Road when I was little and moved to Elsie Road when I was about 4 and I lived there until I married at 20.

Do I sound like the person you are looking for?

Hello Hilda,

In answer to your question, you could be! Do you remember any connection with the James family? My sister Barbara remembers Hilda more than I do. Do you fit the profile? Are you late sixties/ early seventies in age? I remember Johnny 'Smithers' [smethurst]. Was your dad born in 1911 and was a good joker?

Jeff James

Hello Hilda,

I misled you slighty with the family tree side. My grandson is the expert on this and has all the information on the Smethurst's who originate from Lancashire. I said that Alice Smethurst, my grandmother, was your dad's sister. That is not correct. I was a generation out. Alice's mother was Charlotte Smethurst, born Croydon. Alice had a brother called James and in the 1891 census they were all living to-gether at 37, Crown st, Camberwell. James Smethurst could be your grandfather. My grandson has all the details on his laptop but is away in Norfolk at the moment and not back until Friday. However, in the meantime, if you can confirm your dad's birthday that would help. If it was 1911 then you are definitely the Hilda I am looking for. I know my sister Barbara will be thrilled.

Jeff James

Thanks for spotting your aunt's name. I am waiting for her to confirm her dad's birthday. I mentioned Charlotte Smethurst, born Croydon. I meant to say born in Croydon. I have contributed before to the East Dulwich Forum through my article on the High Wood battle for the Dulwich Society.

Jeff James