Travelling with Vibe

Just wanted to ask, if anyone who owns Phil&Teds Vibe tried to get it on a plane? I?ll be going to visit friends soon and I?m not sure how easy would it be to travel with Vibe? Would it be easier to take single small pushchair and a baby carrier?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

We took our Phil and ted's to Greece last year and I got really badly damaged on the return journey, must have really got thrown about at Gatwick when unloading! managed to claim on the insurance which involved enough paperwork to put you off claiming! but could only claim ?250 per item

It was the frame of the buggy that got bent, was only 4mths old couldn't open and close it properly after that.

I would take a cheap one if you can or get insurance that covers the full cost, it was really handy have it with us though, even had it down the beach so baby A could sleep in the shade!

I wouldn't take my Vibe on a plane...... I bought a cheap second hand double Maclaren on here to take on holiday, both seats lie flat and it's much lighter so an ideal holiday buggy - and if it gets trashed on the flight doesnt matter!

Thanks for all your comments. They are very helpful.

I hope it'll all go smoothly, although I'm quite stressed about the security control, buggy and two kids to manage.

Any tips how to get through that without a panic attack?

you can request assistance and in some airports there's a special security line for people with wheelchairs or small children, much smaller queues/less pressure/more help - really good. Def do it at Gatwick, haven't flown from any of the others for a while.

At most airports if you're travelling alone with a child or children they just let you push the buggy through the security thing, rather than folding it up and putting it on the belt scanner - IF it will fit (which a single fold up Maclaren type buggy will, but the Vibe or a side by side double probably won't). Take your time, take as little as possible that you have to take off / hold / and ask for help as Helen said, and don't be intimidated by the fact that there are people waiting behind you - they can wait. Perhaps they had young children once...? And don't fly easyjet, unless there's no option.

have to admit that's never happened to me, and I've flown on my own a few times though maybe been unlucky - wonder if they'd be more helpful when you've got more than 1 child with you though. I did once get to take my buggy onto the plane with me as it was a quiet flight, that was v helpful. Some airports abroad (Marseilles for one) make you check the buggy at the same time as the luggage, might be worth researching in advance and taking a sling if this is likely?

We have done a a lot of air travel as well and I have never been allowed to push my son through "thing" (metal/x-ray thingy I guess?) so please don't count on that. It is a hassle to get them out and get the buggy on the counter but I just go slow enough that they INSIST on helping :)) Have never understood why you can't push through, but don't usually see wheel chairs go through either. I guess all the metal.

Also have on a couple of occasions been made to check our big buggy rather than push it to the gate, so had to carry a very large and heavy baby through the airport. Twice. I guess I learned the hard way that a Maclaren is the only way to know that you will be allowed a buggy to the gate. As far as I know everyone allows umbrella strollers. There are a few airlines that are not consistent in their own rules and that makes these things a bit of a gamble unfortunately.

I would really recommend backpacks, one big one with compartments for you and a small one for junior to carry toys and snacks. That way you always have your hands free for surprises etc., and junior (over 3 I would say) won't put his down somewhere and forget it if it's on his back. Very light backpacks are also a good way to maximize stingy carry-on allowances. I feel like a dork wearing it but a small price to pay.

Oh right, hoodies on the children help to block out all the stimulation on the flight I find. If baby needs a snooze, just pull up the hood and it makes a bit of a cozy cocoon. A tip for naps in the buggy as well.

Well I'm not sure if staying sane is an option.

I'm absolutely terrified and as I can see even doing your research and trying to be prepared for every option might not be enough as you never know what they gona throw at you... too big buggy, wrong shoes, dangerous baby food, or who knows what else??????

honestly, especially if you are travelling on your own, you'll find other passengers/staff are really helpful - so though there are logistical obstacles, it isn't that bad! I actually choose to fly over train when I go back home as find it easier.