Bessemer Grange Primary School

My son has just been offered a place at Bessemer Grange , but it's way too far from where we live,about 30 mins walk,what shall I do? My first choice was DKH then followed by Goose Green, as they are closest to where we live.How do I find out if my son still stand a chance in getting a place at his first choice of school? It doesn't say in the letter whether he is in the waiting list or not, this is confusing.However, I did write an email to the southwark saying that I can't take the offer due to the distance of the school from our home,I'm just a little worried now that my son may not be offered another school after I have turned down the offer.Is that likely to happen?

Carol

2 years ago when we were offered John Donne school we were told by Southwark that if we did not accept it then they had no obligation to find us another school. We accepted it (with no intention of taking it) and got into Goose Green on waiting list. In the first term we were offered DKH that we had been no 14 on waiting list for tho didn't accept as son was happily settled and I couldn't bear the thought of climbing the hill every day!! So I'd check what the implications are of refusing and check positions on wait list and hang tight!

We live at Hayes Grove, is there a path to cut through to Bessemer? I checked on Google map,the route shown on the map seem a bit far to walk ( through DKH,Champion Hill then Denmark Hill) I thought I couldn't be bothered going up and down the hills everyday, and it says on the google map that it would take 25 mins to get there by walking.

Buttonmoon,Can you tell me which is the shortest way please?

If you go down St Francis Road towards Dulwich Football club, it meets abbotswood road and a little roundabout. Turn left at the little roundabout so that you are walking adjacent to the football fields which are on your right. When you come out of the cutting turn right along a bike path and take the first left, and you will see bessemer. Very quick!

Can I also ask if the Bessemer Grange is considered a school in Camberwell or Herne Hill area? As it seems like it is right in the middle. If I told my hubby that my son is offered a place at a school in Camberwell I'm sure he wouldn't be too happy, he has never liked the area.

With the shortcut, it's about 10 mins walk from you. With regards to waiting lists, we are 13th on the list for Dog Kennel Hill and are only 300 metres away.

If you give Bessemer Grange a call they will be happy for you to go and have a look around.

I'm very surprised you didn't get Goose Green being in Hayes Grove, I'd check with Southwark how far they think you are from GG and what current catchment is, people up top of Copleston Road have got in there. Espeically as they're taking an extra class this year. It's true though, Bessemer is not far through the (traffic free!) paths behind Sainsburys, and I've only heard good things.

Anyway if you contact Southwark admissions [email protected] they'll tell you what no. you are on the DKH and GG lists. You are automatically on waiting lists for any schools you ranked above what you've been given, until Sept, when I believe you have to tell them if you want to stay on any lists.

The advice is to accept place you're given even if you want to hold out for something else, although it isn't clear to me whether not accpeting a place means they treat you any differently. Certainly not accepting won't make you higher priority on other lists, but perhaps it legally means they can be less helpful later. Sure someone else will know this.

Yes it was a late application I'm afraid. We only just got back the UK in Feb after spending 10 months in my own country,we weren't aware the deadline for the application was already past, or we would have applied online. We should be grateful now that my son has got a place, although I'm still hoping it would either be GG or DKH. Anyway, have sent another email to the Southwark school admission to accept the offer and to find out what my son's position is on the waiting list. Thanks for all the advise x

Bessemer is probably the nicest walk from where you are - no hill with the short cut, as opposed to DKH, and away from the busy roads.

Worth looking at the latest ofsted from January this year I think 'Bessemer is a good and improving school' for reassurance.

You may find that you are put on a waiting list for there though if you have already emailed to turn the place down..they may have offered that place to someone else.

It's Dylways not Dlyways by the way.

It actually comes under Camberwell, SE5 but isn't right in the middle of Camberwell as such. Full address is Dylways, SE5 8HP.

Stagecoach, the performing arts company, hold classes there at the weekend. They always put the address as Bessemer Grange Primary School, Nairne Grove, off Sunray Avenue, Dulwich, SE5 8HP.