What to do with 2 year old in Crystal Palace?

We have just moved to Sydenham Hill/Crystal Palace.

I work and we have a Nanny but she cant find any activities to do with my 2 year old daughter in the day. I have just seen that CP 1 o'clock club has morning sessions but wondered if anyone could recommend anything else in the area?

It needs to be easy to get to as our Nanny doesnt drive but she does school drop off for my son in West Dulwich so could also go to East Dulwich and surrounds?

Thanks

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I run Music for Little People classes on Wednesdays in the Goose Green Centre on East Dulwich Rd, with a 2-5 year class at 1.15pm followed by a 0-2 year class at 2.15pm. Please call me on 0208 852 0118 for more info or to book a free taster session. Best wishes, Becky Vicary. P.S. Here are a few kind words from one of my mums: Rachael says (June 2010, East Dulwich class) Don?t go anywhere else!! Becky is just fantastic; not only does she have a sublime singing voice and engaging acting talent (she?s a properly trained professional) but she is ebullient and warm ? without fail, every week! She never ?phones it in? and all the children absolutely adore her because she engages with and encourages, each and every one of them, at every session. We have been going for two years now and my son has flourished in her classes, learning all about music through singing, dance, storytelling, rhythm play, listening, instruments, puppetry and more, without being aware for a second that he's learning at all. It is such good fun, it's the highlight of our week. I cannot recommend Music For Little People highly enough. I would encourage you to try a taster session and find out for yourself how excellent it is.

Hiya,

We'd love to see your 2 year old and your nanny in my drop in music class on Lordship lane!

Details below:

Bea's Baby Bop

Drop in music classes for babies and toddlers

Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Fridays 3:30-4:30 pm

Saturdays 10:30-11:30

Family Natural Health centre above Soup Dragon

106 Lordship Lane, East Dulwich

?5, any additional siblings pay half price

Drop in (no need to book beforehand)

Bea

xx

Does anyone else find the constant plugs for peoples own music groups a bit annoying - or is it just me?!? In any event the OP has asked mainly for ideas for Crystal Palace....

Re Crystal Palace - I believe there are a number of stay and play/baby and toddler sessions in the Salvation Army building near Sainsburys - certainly an NCT affiliated one on tuesdays - I've not been but have heard about them.

Sorry Snowboarder, don't mean to be annoying! Just trying to get the word out to people who've expressed interest and the OP does say "It needs to be easy to get to as our Nanny doesnt drive but she does school drop off for my son in West Dulwich so could also go to East Dulwich and surrounds?" . . . we could reply by PM if public posts are getting annoying?

All the best,

Bea

x

There's a pretty good toddler group in the Phoenix centre, next to Sainsburys on Tues and fri morning plus the Heshima Sure start centre at the back of Sainsburys (on road to car park) is good, but depends where in CP/Syd you are as some sessions are only for Croydon BC council tax payers.

The horticultural college is attached to the farm but the farm itself is still very much there! Great animal areas and close to the 'dinosaurs' in the lake too!

There is also an 'exotic' animal area (snakes, fish etc) if you're brave enough to go in...

Half way along Sydenham Hill there is a community hall that has a variety of activities for pre-schoolers: Monday 10am, singing and stories, Wednesday 10am, baby gym (for under 3s),Friday 10am play group and toy library.

Can't remember what the community hall is called - it looks very foreboding, like a prison with barbed wire round the roof. I think there is an advert for a karate school outside. Don't let it put you off, though. It's nice and friendly inside.

There is also a playgroup for under 5s at Kelvin Grove school on Thursday mornings from 9.45am.

I've also taken my kids to Diddi Dance classes at the Salvation Army centre at CP on Friday mornings, and Monkey Music at the Phoenix centre in CP on Wednesday mornings.

I live in CP myself having moved here from ED. Not sure distance to you (sme might need short bus trip) but here's some activities (some mentioned above) -

-Toddlers World soft play at CP National sports centre Mon-Thurs 10-12

-Bernardo's free playgroup at Heshima center - by far the best free playgroup in the area, really really great with lots of toys, activities, outside area & tons of staff to help out. Definately on Mondays 10-12:30 (when we go) but check as there's other times

-Pheonix Center (in front of Sainsbury's) playgroup - on Tuesdays. Good range of toys and singing towards the end of the session.

-library in CP high street - they do a singing session but cant remember what days

-CP park - really lovely playground with sandpit.

-Swimming at CP sports center - we still do this and its really great especially the amount of room you get for changing.

Hope this helps and good luck.