Anyone used London Door Company or similar?

mothercourage

Our house is freezing. Usual story: period property, sash windows etc etc. Anyway the major offender is the front door which is slightly warped and extremely draughty. It's got some really nice stained glass in it (original) but the actual door is pretty flimsy. We've had a quote from LDC which is hefty. They have, however, included refurbing the stained glass and, according to the salesperson, the finished product will be mega robust, thickened, toughened, draught proofed, insulated, you name it ...but will it make a difference to the draughts? I just want to hear from someone who has done similar and can vouch that it's worth the huge shellout. Or not. Please share your experiences...I'd be very grateful.

We had a London Door Co door fitted about 7 years ago after original flimsy Victorian door was easily booted in by a burglar. It was expensive and I did manage to get the insurance company to buy it. However, I really think it's worth every penny. We had the whole frame and door replaced. It made a big difference to the warmth of the hallway. It's a really strong door. It's beautiful and I love it. Also the team at London Door really pulled out all the stops to fit it quickly as we were burgled just before Christmas so I'm forever in their debt.

Can't add anything about a finished project here yet, but interested to hear that jimbo1964, as we are in the process of using London Door Co to make a new back door (with very specific design and security requirements)and two interior doors... expensive, yes, but so far we are very pleased with how the survey and design stage is progressing and with the incredible attention to detail and time spent on making sure everything is taken into account. Having tried to get a quote from a few local joiners (one of whom told me he wasn't interested..charming)we decided to go with the London Door Co on the recommendation of someone we know, and in the knowledge that they are at the 'premium' end of the scale.

Feel confident we've made the right choice so far...

• 2 years later...
I think it's worth the money anyway. You can?t live forever with a flimsy door. Perhaps you can sell the old door or put it in another place where it will not create a draft. A very interesting door interior design btw, but I prefer the modern door interior design because it looks modern and fresh. Personally, I have not encountered a similar problem. But I remember exactly that I changed the doors in the apartment and even after changing the doors the draft did not appear. It was quite difficult to find the door design I needed, but I was lucky that on this site https://doordesignlab.com there are the very doors that I wanted. In general, I am personally very pleased with my doors.

I have know a number of people who have gone cheaper routes and regretted it for all sorts or reasons but mainly for being back where they started a couple of years down the line. LDC are expensive, and so are their competitors. And you're getting what you pay for. If you have it, just spent the money.

I agree, if the house is not warm you make sure the front door and other exterior doors are not draughty. But you should remember that indoor doors are also good at keeping the heat inside. I'd recommend to install automatic drop-down door bottoms; also make sure your doors are not hollow; use rubber seal.