Due soon...!

Dear all

I'm 30 weeks into my first pregnancy and wondering if you have any local recommendations for good antenatal yoga and or aqua aerobics classes and massage? My back is starting to get quite sore if I sit for too long and I know I need to start building up strength... Any tips gratefully received! Thanks, Clara

im due to start antenatal pilates at push studios on thursday.

and dulwich therapy rooms have a lot of antenatal yoga classes if you def want to go the yoga route! there are loads of classes if you are able to go during the day too.

If your back hurts, start sitting on a birth ball and avoid sitting back ie sofa's / cars etc. I had horrendous back pain when sitting with my first pregnancy, assumed it was normal and I was just being a total wuss compared to others. Later found out my daughter was back to back, an indication of which is back pain!

Second time around my back was fine until very late on and even then it was an odd ache which occurred when i sat in the same position for a long time ie driving.

May be your baby isn't back to back and the ache is due to the extra weight and your joints loosening..... Thought I would mention it though as in hindsite I wish i had know the awful pain I suffered was not normal!

Hope you get it sorted.

Hi Clara,

I'm 29 weeks and have just started yoga at the Dulwich Therapy rooms (weds morning)

I've only been to 1 class but can recommend it so far.

I'm keen to try aqua natal too so let me know if you hear of any good ones!

You can do both antenatal yoga and aqua aerobics at JAGS (or at least you could this time last year when I was pregnant) and I think you can do both as pay as you go so you can always try and see if you like them

Sitaram at Kings do yoga classes on wed and thur evenings and sat mornings.

Amy at the Dulwich Touch (aloued is her forum name) is a fantastic local and very reasonably priced masseuse. I had SPD from about 20 weeks onwards and the combination of yoga, massage and generally keeping mobile as much as possible while at work really helped. Oh, as did a yoga ball for sitting and watching TV!

How long have you got til you start maternity leave? I found once I left my job and stopped being tethered to a desk for more hours a day than I care to admit the aches and pains did receed......

swimming helps. my little one is now 10 months but i remember the back ache badly. at the later stage of my pregnancy it was boiling out side so i filled my pool and stayed in it all day. was such a comfort to my back. also helps with swelling to ankles.

Hi Clara

I teach pregnancy yoga at Bespoke Space on Sunday evenings (19.00 - 20.15). This is a beautiful new studio in Blackwater Court (off Lordship Lane) and we have a lovely friendly group of mums to be. The class is a blend of strengthening and relaxation to prepare you for your birth (not to mention motherhood!). Feel free to contact me for more details - 07710 178020 [email protected]

Have you looked at esph on lordship lane - they do various ante natal classes and checks http://www.esph.co.uk/our-services/pre-and-post-natal-exercise/pre-post-natal-exercise-introduction.html

I'd also be delighted to teach you hypnobirthing techniques to relax and feel prepared for birth using breathing, visualisation and relaxation techniques. If you're not wanting to take classes there's also an online course and mp3s you can listen to (can be combined with 1 private session if required) - www.hypnobirthingdownloads.com. Enjoy your last few weeks:)

just been telling Clara about esph on Lordship Lane who are great too and noticed your post. If you're interested in learning hypnobirthing techniques (relaxation, breathing, visualisation) then do give me a call. I run classes locally, private and group as well as offering an online course and mp3 downloads at www.hypnobirthingdownloads.com (possibly with 1 private session). Would be delighted to help you with these options. Enjoy your pregnancy:)