Any idea how much a lean-to conservatory costs?

RichJ

We'd quite like to increase the size of our kitchen but have decided that we can't really afford to have the side-return done. We wondered if putting a lean-to conservatory at the back of the kitchen might be a much cheaper way of creating a bit of extra space. I can't get much of an idea of the likely costs from the internet and don't want to get anyone round for a quote if it is a non-starter. Does anyone have any idea roughly how much they end-up costing?

Thanks very much.

• 8 months later...

Hi Rachel,

The only response I got was the following private message:

"We put a lean-to conservatory on the side of our kitchen - in effect, we extended into the side return but without taking the side wall out, and created access by taking out and enlarging an existing window. We got quotes from Anglian, Sutton Windows and a smaller local firm, and ultimately got the work done by Sutton. We were very pleased with the build and level of customer service and are very happy with the result - we've recommended Sutton windows to a couple of friends locally and one of them has had essentially the same works done, and, as far as I know, they are very happy too.

Costwise, our conservatory is about 14' x 8' and cost c.?15k. This was middling spec - we could have gone for fancier glass etc. and pushed it up to ?20k, or got it down to about ?12k. That figure included building work e.g. footings and brick and block work, plastering, supply and assemble the conservatory, and electricals, but not decoration or flooring."

I didn't end up following it up so have no other quotes I'm afraid. If you do get any, I'd be very interested to hear them.

Thanks,

Rich

Lots of things to consider (we had one built 8 years ago but ended up having to be taken down).

You may find your waste pipes are in the way, so you either have to re-route these or make sure the

builder knows how to build around them.

Do you have a combi boiler? Is the exhaust where you want your lean-to built. In which case you will have to get the exhaust/boiler moved.

Heat. Our lean-to got so hot the wood dried out very quickly and started cracking (was in full sun for most of the day)

Unfortunatly we had a dodgy builder (story of our lives) and he did not go through the necessary planning permission.

Hi

We have two conservatories put up by a really good company. I do not generally recommend these but the sales lady was not pushy and the final work was really good, if not exceptional. One of the conservatories are attatched to the kitchen which we use as a utility room, and the other is used as an office.

The standard of work is really good and I got both of them done for ?12000.00.

This was only done 6 months ago, and every guest we have had has had good things to say. The only thing I must add is that I had asked Crystal for the same quote and this was ?20000.

I did barter with the sales lady and wanting this sale she really took the price down. I can provide photos if you wish, and can pass you the address: http://www.artofglassbuilding.co.uk. You need to ask for Ganna.

Hope this helps

Sunil

• 2 months later...