> My own view is that PETA is an extremist

> propaganda organisation, and I wouldn't trust them

> as an accurate source of information about

> anything, but that's just my view. Canada Goose

> evidently have specific policies about using

> animal products and people can decide for

> themselves what to do.

Not a vegan myself.

Apparently CG use coyote fur on collars. These coyote are trapped before being collected and killed for fur. That's dog fur on your collar guys and girls. But it's all OK as they are a pest apparently.

https://www.inverse.com/article/23167-coyote-fur-canada-goose-jacket-peta

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Not a vegan myself.

>

> Apparently CG use coyote fur on collars. These

> coyote are trapped before being collected and

> killed for fur. That's dog fur on your collar guys

> and girls. But it's all OK as they are a pest

> apparently.

>

> https://www.inverse.com/article/23167-coyote-fur-c

> anada-goose-jacket-peta

It maybe coyote but you know exactly where that coyote was caught - and to be fair they don't pretend not to use real fur.

"The Canada Goose Fur Transparency Standard? is our commitment to support the ethical, responsible and sustainable sourcing and use of real fur. The first traceability program to cover the wild habitat, it ensures that all fur sourced by Canada Goose is in accordance with the Agreement of International Humane Trapping Standards (AIHTS) in Canada and the Best Managed Practices (BMP) in the United States, and is fully traceable throughout the supply chain. The standard certifies that we never purchase fur from fur farms, never use fur from endangered animals, and only purchase fur from licensed North American trappers strictly regulated by state, provincial and federal standards. As of April 2017, all fur used in new Canada Goose products is fully traceable, and includes country of origin labelling."

"I couldn't care less about your insulting me, but loosely chucking the term fascist at people and groups with whom you happen to disagree is pathetic. Several of my family died fighting real fascism, do grow up and find some arguments instead of tasteless and meaningless insults."

Do you really think you're the only person who could wheel out dead relatives, or are you the only one so pathetically desperate to pursue your idiotic point from the moral high ground that you are willing to throw it in here, an online discussion about furry coats?

Back on point, and as observed above, there isn't any real dispute about what materials Canada Goose use, where they come from, how they're obtained etc., so how you feel about it will probably depend more on your view of wearing fur in principle rather than judgments about what's cruel and what's not - after all, eating meat necessarily involves animals being killed, which might be regarded as cruel however it's done. However, the fact of a PETA protest cannot be assumed to indicate that rules are being breached or some specific acts of cruelty are being perpetrated because they oppose any use of any animal products for clothes, full stop.

(ETA replying to John L, not the subsequent defensive drivel)

The AIHTS, while banning steel jaw leg trapping (i.e. the classic spiked trap) still allows leg trapping and states that "80% of animals must not show any signs of poor welfare" ("poor welfare" means no self-mutilation, excessive immobility, fractures, severance of tendon or ligament, severe external haemorrhage, internal haemorrhage, skeletal muscle degeneration, spinal cord injury, severe internal organ damage, amputation and death).

Bad luck for the other 20% of course...also these standards are, in practice, impossible to police in the wild. If people want to wear fur that's up to them, but any claim it doesn't involve cruelty or suffering is absurd.

DaveR Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you really think you're the only person who

> could wheel out dead relatives, or are you the

> only one so pathetically desperate to pursue your

> idiotic point from the moral high ground that you

> are willing to throw it in here, an online

> discussion about furry coats?

Says the person who calls those who protest against "furry coats" fascists.

ignoring the fur issue

I see so many of these around I can't believe so many people are paying ?1000 odd. I also only ever see one colour - and I'd always prefer red which I've never seen (or am I just a red fanatic and everybody else prefers dark blue/black).

(but then again an iPhone X costs ?1000 - so if you're out in the cold a lot maybe they're worth it ? )

I really like this approach - PETA collect unwanted fur (mainly donated after educational campaigns) and give them to the homeless

"Donating unwanted furs that have been marked with red paint to homeless people not only helps needy people keep warm, it also allows us to counteract reports of a ?fur comeback? by showcasing that we are receiving more donations of fur than ever before from people appalled at the cruelty involved in fur ranching and trapping. In media interviews resulting from fur giveaways, we are able to point out that, even after using hundreds of furs in educational displays, dumping them at museums and outside furriers? stores, painting them for floats, dragging them through the streets, burying and burning them, and even donating them to wildlife rehabilitators for use as animal bedding, we still have plenty of coats left over.

Fur giveaways also counteract furriers? efforts to portray fur as ?upscale,? ?chic,? or a status symbol; rather, the overwhelming influx of fur into our office means that fur has hit rock bottom."

It would be worth knowing how many people who buy fur know the truth behind the marketing.