Begging Outside M&S on LL

John2598

Begging is often the very last resort for genuine homeless people, a lot of people have reached the very lowest point they can reach and this is about as low as they can physically go, but now a lot of Eastern European organised begging syndicates operate across London targeting affluent areas and up market shops.

Is there something we can do? each shop on the High street is responsible for the first meter of footpath outside the outlet, it is the duty of the manager to make the entrance to the shop a clean, safe and hazard free passage, it is vital that you report this to the manager and detail why you feel uncomfortable not visiting the shop, the manager will escalate this if he/she receives enough complaints this is becoming a widespread issue in my opinion and we should take peaceful preventive steps to make East Dulwich a safer environment and free from begging syndicates, is begging illegal? Yes begging is an illegal activity and you have a right to inform the police: However, the police can only move them. More often than not they will wonder around the corner then come back when it is clear.

I have heard cases of beggars making as much as ?400 per day which is why it is very big business among organised syndicates.

May be we could do something as a community to move them on if we come together.

RubyGraeme Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They are brothers, and not homeless. I know they

> have housing, and their lovely mum lives round the

> corner from me. They have alcohol and drug

> addiction problems. I think their mum would be

> horrified if she knew. They used to pester her for

> money but that seems to have stopped, obviously

> they're making enough from asking for money

> outside M&S. They had a brother until five or six

> years ago who died from circumstances to do with

> his addictions, very sad. Say "Hello, Chris" or

> Hello, Danny" but please don't give them any

> money.

Perfectly put.

I watched a guy outside m n s . he had been given food and money, I watched him from across the road.. put all of this in his haversack,, then he wandered off across the road, THEN, as he pulled out his mobile fone,, wandered into Tart and ordered himself a coffee,, bold as brass,, suddenly became a normal member of society,, don't be fooled

flocker spotter Wrote:

> So lets condense these postings : Don't give them

> anything because they are loaded/drug fiends/

> alcoholics/smokers/ users of an over priced coffee

> shop but donate to cat charities instead.

>

> all heart all the time.

Of course far better to show your 'heart' by giving drug addicts the means to buy more drugs and eventually kill themselves.

As long as you can tell people what a 'good' person you are, that's all that matters to people like you.

El Presidente Wrote:

> flocker spotter Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So lets condense these postings : Don't give

> them

> > anything because they are loaded/drug fiends/

> > alcoholics/smokers/ users of an over priced

> coffee

> > shop but donate to cat charities instead.

> >

> > all heart all the time.

>

> Of course far better to show your 'heart' by

> giving drug addicts the means to buy more drugs

> and eventually kill themselves.

>

> As long as you can tell people what a 'good'

> person you are, that's all that matters to people

> like you.

Actually I see lots of women giving food to beggars.

They get at least some of the money off men who have had a few pints ... and abuse off the same.

(what was it in hitch hikers guide to the galaxy "he paid a man some money to stop bothering him and go away")

El Presidente Wrote:

> flocker spotter Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So lets condense these postings : Don't give

> them

> > anything because they are loaded/drug fiends/

> > alcoholics/smokers/ users of an over priced

> coffee

> > shop but donate to cat charities instead.

> >

> > all heart all the time.

>

> Of course far better to show your 'heart' by

> giving drug addicts the means to buy more drugs

> and eventually kill themselves.

>

> As long as you can tell people what a 'good'

> person you are, that's all that matters to people

> like you.

I'll always take someone who may be misguided but has a good heart over a pompous cynic with no heart at all. Just sayin', like.

Was walking up to the Barclays bank cash point on the corner of Ashbourne last Saturday lunchtime, and a guy looking a bit disheveled pointed to the cash point and asked me in a what sounded like an italian accent to get some cash out for him as he was hungry.... bit bold I thought. The cashpoint was not working so used this as an excuse, pointed it out and walked off...he walked away so I went to the other cashpoint further up and started getting cash out, he noticed, and came back up and stood right behind me pretty much demanding I give him a tenner so he could get some lunch. obviously my patience snapped and I told him to clear off.

I do give to people who look like they really need it if I have some change in my pocket, also have bought a couple of sandwiches & water for people begging outside the odd supermarket, If they are scammers then thats a gamble I take personally, just incase they actually do need it.... but the guy I mentioned above was the most aggressive type I've met for a long time :/