Dunstan's Rd is a lovely street, but... (ugly bins)

Nigello

POUS - I totally disagree. The best behaviour in places like London is neutral behaviour when it comes to public space (including your front yard). When you've had a crowded bus/train journey with inconsiderate people listening to convos on loudspeakers, stuffing litter down the back of the seats, then you step out onto dog muck and have to walk in the road because bins are blocking the route, you realise that it is not "twitchy-curtains" at all. I really believe that everyone should be as considerate as they can be and shoulder-shrugging and saying "hey, this is London" means you are racing to the bottom with little chance of return.

I would have thought that "community spirit" means being aware of such problems and doing one's best to avoid them or put them right.

Southwark has a good refuse collection and recycling policy - separating recycling into (effectively) organic and inorganic (or wet and dry) with a separate non-recyclable collection seems a very positive approach. Bin collection using bins which can be lifted automatically into the lorries (and wheeled) is good for the bin-men (I'd say bin people but all mine seem to be men) and I can remember the clatter of aluminium and light steel bins when we had those - the downside to this is that we need three, large, bins for this policy to be effective (if we live in houses, not blocks of flats). [People without gardens can get by with the kitchen or kerbside caddy, but these are more fragile, lose their lids more easily and can be quite noisome]

So kerbside clutter is the price we pay for the other benefits, where houses have small front areas and other possible uses for them, such as more safely storing two-wheeled vehicles.

Clearly the aesthetic (and practical) problems of bins on the pavement are real, but they are an unintended consequence of what I believe is an overall good refuse policy (entirely outwith the stupid withdrawal of free collection of bulky items - which was short-sighted at the least!).