Your views on Foie Gras

Thomas Micklewright

We should be eating horses then, you know the wasted ones from the racing industry that get shot regularly by the track side (with a little curtain around them)

I?m sure people would like that, I mean imagine the size of the liver alone.

Bet Fred could bring out a range and sell it in their bookies shop in a chiller cabinet.

Fred?s Fast Food, fast being the nature of the beast you?re eating.

It?ll catch on I?m sure of it.

However, ethical Food Gras is possible, but not sure that?s on the menu in this discussion.

It always makes me laugh how people get up in arms over foie gras, but will happily eat a chicken or pork product (not just raw meat but ready-cooked stuff, salami, sausages, sandwich fillers and so, so much more) without asking where it came from.

Spoiler alert - the conditions those animals are raised in are no better than the unethical foie producers. There IS ethical foie out there, it just costs an eye-watering sum of money. But that's true of all meat - the morally acceptable stuff is a lot more than the factory-farmed crap. The other problem with foie is it's astonishingly unhealthy. In a nation that's 80% overweight we probably shouldn't be eating something that's literally 90% fat.

If you've ever eaten at Morley's or any other standard high st chicken shop, if you like pepperoni on a pizza - even one of those nice-looking artisan ones on Lordship Lane, if you like greasy spoon cafe full English breakfasts, Yilmaz kebabs or a chicken curry ready meal...you are morally eating on the same level as someone chowing down on a foie gras terrine.

This is why plant=based food is increasingly popular and, frankly, good quality (check out Moving Mountains for example), and that's probably a good thing. Personally I love meat, but I've become really picky about what I eat and give to my family. WG Bunting (also known as Muscat) at the top of Peckham Park Road, in case you're wondering. Superb butchers.