Martial Arts for toddlers

rox

Has anyone got a toddler who attends martial arts classes in the area? Did your child enjoy it? I thought it may be a fun thing for my son to do as he is super active but I can't find any classes to go to.

HI - I don't have a toddler yet, but think martial arts are great for children of all ages - provided they are taught in a school that has the right approach - emphasising courtesy,integrity, perseverance, self-Control and fun! I have some experience as a martial arts teacher (black belt in chinese kung fu) and strongly you look closely at any prospective school: if there is too much emphasis on competitions and too much swagger among the older students, it is probably not that great. My teenage step son goes to a taek won do school in Beckenham and I am very impressed by his attitude to his training and how this spills into other areas of his life, i.e. hard working and helpul (yes, he is checky sometimes too - great fun kid). I don't know the name, but is run by a female instructor and all I hear about her impresses me too.

Hope you find something you like - if you do, please let us know, in a few years I'll be looking too!

I'm not entirely sure about the starting age for most of the martial arts classes but I remember that when I was looking for a class for my then under 3 I couldn't really find anything as most of them seemed to start at 4. My son has now been doing taekwon-do with Mazuki for quite some time and he really enjoys it. Their classes start from 3 years up and are always well organised, well staffed and fun. They also teach about stranger awareness and anti-bullying. Have a look here if you're interested: http://www.mazuki.com/. There have been other recommendations on the forum before as well, may be worth doing a search.

• 1 year later...

REALLY need to find something like this for my 2.4 yr old boy so if anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. He is a lovely friendly boy but is certainly quite spirited, I'd say although I know the grass is always greener. Oodles of energy and I'd love to find an activity that can serve as an outlet but teach him something too. He is at a challenging stage and constantly pushing boundaries. Sometimes I can see his little body "shake" with energy while be is trying to work out what to do next - kick stuff, bang cutlery on table, sit on dog, throw things...

Anyway, any suggestions on activities like martial arts but where they take toddlers would be most welcome!

OOh was just about to post a similar t hing. I'm looking for judo,w hich my brother (who does a lot of martial arts) has suggested would be best. I know there's taikwondo but haven't heard of any judo locally, does anyone know (for an almost 4 yr old)