Billy Elliot story

????

My nearly 4 year old son, "Dad can I do ballet please", for a few weeks shrug my shoulders, "Come on, time for Kickers".

Still it goes on, turning into 2 months. "Dad pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase".

"Your sister doesn't do it anymore - why don't you do modern dance?"

"I wanna do Ballet"

Anyway, long and short of it, he's signed up. Waiting list for girls but they snapped our hands off for a boy...

"He can start when he wants"

Me. in hope, rather pathetically "Are there any other boys in the class?"

"No"

What would my old mates at West Ham think. :))

Hi JessM,

He is enrolled with Dulwich Ballet School. If you contact Sally Anne Hodge who owns it, she will email you all of the details. The new term commences first week of September and ballet outfit is white short sleeved leotard, navy twill shorts and white ballet shoes -so no pink! It would be great if you signed your son up as well. As they are the same age (but more importantly gender), neither would feel like the odd one out. PM if you decide to go ahead!

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'll find out the details for you...I'm still

> dealing with the concept :))

Brilliant! I think you need to get with the program ????. It's what he want to do.

And if he is disuaded from continuing (and i REALLY hope not), then all the balance, control and poise will definitely help him with football ;)

Quids you should be proud, it's genius on his part. Take up girly stuff = No male competition, and all the girls think you're in touch with your feminine side, and understand then.

It's a master stroke on his part, and will stand him in great stead for when he joins mixed choir as a teenager!

My son does ballet at nursery and really loves it! They have an ex professional ballerina at the nursery so she teaches them all once a week. It is the highlight of his week. He is turning 4 soon and although his dad initially said that "ballet stays at nursery" I think even he realises how much he will miss it when he starts school. He is going to go to horniman school in September and will hopefully continue lessons there. Good luck with it. P.S. He loves football just as much

This is brilliant ???? and very interesting too...;o

I often wonder why boys ballet in particular is somewhat icky...both my brother and I started when we were 6 and made our living out of ballet and wouldn't change it for anything else. Though I firmly believe my brother was always treated 'better' for the very reason of being a boy! I can assure you there is nothing sissy or girly about male ballet dancers, in fact there is a reason (Here, here Fuschia) why footballers, baseball players, rugby players etc...are attending ballet classes. My hubby is a tap dancer and always says that to be a ballet dancer one must be fitter than an athlete...

I am not too sure but perhaps all boys classes (including male teacher) would be the answer...when i was in my ballet school girls and boys classes were separate... My hubby teaches boys tap and the classes are very popular.

Anyhow, I hope he enjoys it and has fun! And same for yours JessM ;)

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Fuschia Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The male ballet role requires incredible

> strength

> > and control

> >

> > Nothing girly about it...

>

>

> Except the leotard

Otta, no male ballet dancer wears a leotard,,,,out of curiosity, where did you see/hear this?