East Dulwich Hotel on Upland Road

c2p2

Does anyone know what this place is? I've heard that it used to be a B&B and it was awful, then the owners put it on the market but it didn't sell. There appears to be people living in there and it looks in really bad condition.

Review on Google Maps sums it up:

Dear sweet Jesus, the filthiest place I' ve seen in my life. The smell, the dirt, if you haven't seen it you won't believe it... Walked in and straight out. On the positive side they have back our deposit.

Adam999 - I can't access the review in Google maps that you mention but I'm struggling to believe this is a genuine review (could be wrong though).

The reason why: if anyone needed a hotel in ED they'd presumably search online for one if none had been recommended personally. This place doesn't show up in a search. Alternatively, if you simply happened to walk past it looking for a place to stay, you'd probably not bother as it really doesn't seem like a hotel and there's no visible 'reception' either. So that makes me wonder where the 'reviewer' actually went in order to have 'noticed the dirt and the smell' as they claim.

I don't think it is a hotel, possibly its a hostel and as far as I am aware has never caused any problems (unless you count surprise from passers-by when they spot the 'hotel' sign outside its less than salubrious exterior).

Last week I saw a women photoing the 'hotel' very self counsciously I suspect a new arrival wants it run out of town so as not to frighten the property prices. Many years ago when I first moved here it was a ramshackle asian shop piled high with stuff such as heaters and lamps and the like and never felt the need to ever visit it.

michaelwalsh1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've no idea who's running this place but it must

> have guaranteed tenants from DSS/Prison Service

> because it can't get any walk-up business. I think

> there have been problems in the past but I don't

> know the fully story. Sorry I can't be more

> helpful c2p2.

Michael - out of interest, why do you think there have been problems in the past? And welcome to EDF.

This was orginally a hostel for those coming from abroad, a builder friend many years ago was asked by the landlord to inspect the rooms. He found they were very small and poorly converted. The landlord was expecting that 2 - 3 people could live in what was a single room. The landlord, who owns several properties in ED around Upland and Hindmans Road area is now elderly and disabled - so that is why I imagine it is up for sale. Years ago it was a shop and an 'importers business'

ibilly99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Last week I saw a women photoing the 'hotel' very

> self counsciously I suspect a new arrival wants it

> run out of town so as not to frighten the property

> prices.

xxxxxxx

I photographed it a while back because I am taking photos of various places in ED, maybe it was me you saw.

I have been here 20 years and I can assure you I don't want it run out of town :)

I think it adds character to the area :)

I just realised what has changed about this place recently ish? It never used to have a hotel sign at all then it had a sign outside on the pavement in front, rather less noticeable. But it now has a much larger sign outside on the front above the windows.

I have seen quite a few people taking photos of the sign but have never spotted the infamous man with parrot on Uplands Rd yet B)

Re. Katie1997 message:

This is the link to the review on the East Dulwich Hotel - no idea if it's authentic but seems credible.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?q=East+Dulwich+Bed+%26+Breakfast,+26-30+Upland+Road,+London+SE22+9EF&hl=en&cid=9242002885905744224

I think some estate agents are struggling to shift property near to the hotel so that might explain the plans to 'run it out of town'.

think it is families that are mostly staying at the hotel on upland rd. never stay for long but never been a problem that i have ever had any concerns. older couple own it and rent rooms to dss maybe?? not really sure

• 2 months later...
I walk past the 'East Dulwich Hotel' a few times a day. It never used to have a sign up just a hand scribbled note stuck to gate or board saying 'rooms' but now has a proper sign up saying 'East Dulwich Hotel'! I was very surprised to see this as it still looks as seedy & dirty as ever, the paper note is still stuck to the board outside. I have seen inside on many occasion when the door's been left wide open & it does look very manky, not the sort of place you'd want to cross the threshold let alone stay in. I googled it out of curiosity & found not surprisingly ,amongst others, 3 x 1 star reviews on Trip Advisor.co.uk