Remembrance Day Poppies

I was talking about this

"What was very marked was the number of medals worn by people much younger than I am. It was a measure of the numer of wars and conflicts that our servicemen and women have been involved in over the last 15 years - and in contrast to similar parades in the 70's and 80's when only retired WWI, WWII & Korean War vererans had medals."

and wondered if he thought it was a good thing to see more young war veterans? I find the whole thing a bit difficult because I hate the idea of people dying or putting their lives on the line for a corrupt government, but feel that the lack of support they get after they have done what they thought was the right thing, is a scandal.

I'm not a pascifist, but don't beleive our sons and daughters should be fighting to protect the profits of the multi-nationals who control world politics.

I always wear a red poppy - and don't feel it any way condones war. I feel it represents the absolute waste of life and all the potential of those who die in fighting wars. I can't think of anyone who believes the first WW was a good thing. The second WW always gets more tricky as there was a very clear wrong doer, however I feel very aggreived at the loss of life at the moment with Irag and Afganistan. I am not from a military family (altho my dad was on the wrong side in WW2) but so feel for all these young people thrust into such a contentious 'conflict' at the moment. I remember my dad talking about trying to find the bits of his mates after particular battles and just cannot imagine what the hell it must have been like. He survived and went on to have a normal family life. Pity the poor souls who didn't and think of it still happening now - and as Chav quite rightly says, the complete lack of support they get if they do return.

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was talking about this

>

> "What was very marked was the number of medals

> worn by people much younger than I am. It was a

> measure of the numer of wars and conflicts that

> our servicemen and women have been involved in

> over the last 15 years - and in contrast to

> similar parades in the 70's and 80's when only

> retired WWI, WWII & Korean War vererans had

> medals."

>

> and wondered if he thought it was a good thing to

> see more young war veterans?

CWLD - I retired from the Royal Navy in '92. I took part in the "Cold War". I worry that so many younger people are earning medals - it is not good. We have had two world wars in the last century, both (and certainly WWII) arguably fought on behalf of right. From Korea to the Falklands there was, broadly, a peace of a kind. Since 1997 there have been too many wars fought for uncertain aims, with a lack of forethought and certainly a complete lack of proper funding & equipment - all resulting in too many unnnecessary deaths. I am far less certain about the recent wars that this government has committed troops to.

I also agree entirely we should be supporting our service people properly when they return to UK. See an earlier thread Honour the Covenant

this has prompted me to consider where are the war poets of this fledgling century ?

my father fought in italy and africa and he was shot in the head in 1944 ,he survived with a brutal treppaning and ill health he died when i was 7 too young to hear about the war first hand my mother says he never discussed it like so many who witnessed horror

i have his medals

i read all of the posts above with interest and like the subject of the holocaust i believe we must never forget

and we must educate our children in this regard also

a fine book to put you off war is 'trench warfare 1914 -1918' by tony ashworth and ' the mammoth book of war diaries and letters can only scratch the surface of the the human loss {edited by jon e lewis }

im a newcomer to the edf and i feel ive put my foot in it already .........sorry that was not my intention