Is there a local Housing / Homeless Charity?

I have some furniture that I no longer need (space etc).

It is in good condition and previously I have donated such goods to a housing charity to assist ex homeless people setting up a home for the first time (about 3 years ago - TV, armchair, bookcase, fridge).

However, I've lost the contact details and would appreciate advice / directions.

Thanks

MM

There is an Oxfam furniture store in Streatham, if this helps.

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/shops/content/furniture.html

Another option is to ring Shelter (0344 515 1540 for South London office) and ask if they know of anywhere more local.

(I also donated some furniture to what I thought was a local charity a couple of years ago, but they turned out to be bogus! Hmph. Can't remember the name otherwise I would post it here.)

Claire

I would second Emmaus, they are a really good charity.

They are self-financing and do brilliant things with homeless people and their hostels are fantastic. They believe that useful work will help you overcome your problems and everyone who lives in the hostel works in the hostel and for the charity.

Their 'companions' as they are called all do amazingly after they live in the Emmaus community for a while.

They have massive waiting lists for spaces, so any help they get would help provide more funding for more places.

They are one of my favourite homeless charities (I like Shelter from the Storm in North London too).

If you need the items picking up, try the Furniture re-use network 'FRN'. I used them when I cleared out a late relative's property. I got the details from the Salvation Army website. The FRN promote re-use of unwanted furniture and household items for the alleviation of need, hardship, distress and poverty.

The south London contacts are here and Emmaus, as mentioned above, are listed as a FRN contact http://www.frn.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92&Itemid=92

LuVED

Thanks everyone - as some of the furniture involved was IKEA most charities weren't interested - not robust enough to hand on.

However, I would recommend Emmaus as this was the organisation I was trying to locate initially. Not only have they always helped b y collecting larger items, I find their work encouraging and like to support them.