Goose Green councillors - how can we help?

dulwichfolk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds a great idea.

>

> But EDG is very narrow even more so than most of

> the roads closed so where exactly would there be

> space for the cycle lane?

True, perhaps it's not as easy as I thought. The first part of the route can travel down the backs of the houses on Deventer Crescent, but the section past the health centre and is indeed narrow. It does seem like a through route could be provided inside the Charter School and Tessa Jowell health centre grounds, but I suppose the plans for the development of those sites are too far advanced to modify for public cycle lanes!

Traffic now dreadful around the round-about and no parking available for residents of the Crawthew/Worlingham/ Lacon area. Things have very sudden;y got a lot worse. Can't see that being stuck at the round-about nor driving round for ages looking for parking is helping air quality. Are the elderly like myself supposed to ride a bike?

eastdulwichhenry Wrote:

> dulwichfolk Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Sounds a great idea.

> >

> > But EDG is very narrow even more so than most

> of

> > the roads closed so where exactly would there

> be

> > space for the cycle lane?

>

> True, perhaps it's not as easy as I thought. The

> first part of the route can travel down the backs

> of the houses on Deventer Crescent, but the

> section past the health centre and is indeed

> narrow. It does seem like a through route could be

> provided inside the Charter School and Tessa

> Jowell health centre grounds, but I suppose the

> plans for the development of those sites are too

> far advanced to modify for public cycle lanes!

There is room West of the Townley Road Junction. This would create a link with the Railton Road LTN and the tube at Brixton. Would make a massive difference to (especially if Southwark could work with hire bike companies such as Lime to bring them to ED).

rahrahrah Wrote:

> would also make it super easy to get to Herne Hill

> for Thameslink services.

>

> If people could hop on a hire bike and leave it at

> the station, it may also have a positive impact on

> car congestion along EDG

Sadly, seems bike theft is on the rise and making all day parking at station secure enough possibly not realistic, also only limited space outside. People can use folders though and take them into work.

first mate Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> -----

> > would also make it super easy to get to Herne

> Hill

> > for Thameslink services.

> >

> > If people could hop on a hire bike and leave it

> at

> > the station, it may also have a positive impact

> on

> > car congestion along EDG

>

> Sadly, seems bike theft is on the rise and making

> all day parking at station secure enough possibly

> not realistic, also only limited space outside.

> People can use folders though and take them into

> work.

this is why a hire bike scheme like Lime or Santander would be great (you don't have to worry about your bike being nicked). They have them in nearly every other part of the Capital, except Southwark, where they only operate in the north of the borough.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> first mate Wrote:

> -----

> > rahrahrah Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > would also make it super easy to get to Herne

> > Hill

> > > for Thameslink services.

> > >

> > > If people could hop on a hire bike and leave

> it

> > at

> > > the station, it may also have a positive

> impact

> > on

> > > car congestion along EDG

> >

> > Sadly, seems bike theft is on the rise and

> making

> > all day parking at station secure enough

> possibly

> > not realistic, also only limited space outside.

> > People can use folders though and take them

> into

> > work.

>

> this is why a hire bike scheme like Lime or

> Santander would be great (you don't have to worry

> about your bike being nicked). They have them in

> nearly every other part of the Capital, except

> Southwark, where they only operate in the north of

> the borough.

Not entirely true: Lime coverage is pretty much a rectangle between Peckham, Harringay, Ealing and Putney. There are some chunks carved out (presumably where councils have prohibited street parking?) and a couple of lumps added on. But there is plenty of London that doesnt have Lime service.

ed_pete Wrote:

> Thing is, if you could get enough people together

> you could just go and get a load of Lime or Jump

> bikes from Central London and distribute around ED

> and Peckham. They're dockless after all.

You get fined if you park them outside the zone

Dear James,

Can Southwark rethink buying Boris bikes to encourage cycling.

Can the noisy drain between The Health Centre and the School running from LL to DV direction be repaired so we can all sleep at night.

Can the useless speed bump on the bend of EDG be removed and replaced by cameras so that traffic (when it is moving) is going at 20 or less rather than making more pollution and noise as it hits the ramp shedding particulates.

Can EDG have new paving as this has not been replaced for over 30 years, while the gated communities have lovely new paving.

Now the parking zone has come in ...the middle section after the bend could easily accomadate a cycle lane with parking on one side making it safer and the pavement in other sections could be widened as a shared pedestrian cycle path.

Maybe time to spend some of my 30 year + rates on my road?

Heartblock - i wholeheartedly support what you have written - these are all very sensible points.

Also since the CPZ came in the stretch between the Charter School and JAGS has been transformed in terms of parking - adding a segregated cycle lane would provide a greater distance between homes / pedestrians and the pollution from cars. Even large scale EV adaotion won't do anything for particulate matter emissions so solutions are needed!

Hire bikes would provide an easy way to get from Dulwich / PEckham to Brixton for the tube meaning that the overcrowded 37 wouldn't be as difficult to get on!

"Can the noisy drain between The Health Centre and the School running from LL to DV direction be repaired so we can all sleep at night."

That's 2 of you now want this. It's starting to look like a movement.

Surely that is a culverted stream. Are you asking James Knut McCash to hold back the waters?

MarkT

Apologies for my spelling of the Historic King's name. My first version, with a C, was bleeped out.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it seems as if all councillors have a LTN filter on their inboxes that sends any email from anyone daring to question what they are doing to their trash!

Are they all still unable to do surgeries at the moment? If so, what I can't work out is that in this modern world everyone else is managing perfectly well to communicate via video calls etc yet our councillors seem to have given up on any direct contact with their constituents - using Covid as the excuse for zero communication.

Or perhaps they don't want to talk to people right now! ;-)

Do you know why the council have consulted with so-called "Southwark Cyclists" on low traffic neighbourhoods, but haven't bothered to consult us, the people who live on the affected streets and who voted you in to represent us?

Because you aren't worth spit, but Southwark cyclists (most of whom by definition don't live, or cycle, in ED) are God's Chosen. And have views which match those of Tooley St. Nobody is stupid enough to consult those who might disagree with you, when those are powerless to alter things.

Rockets Wrote:

> It's getting on for a month since Cllr McAsh last

> made an appearance here and a lot of questions are

> still unanswered. He is fast becoming this forum's

> Ferris Bueller....;-)

>

>

>

Bickering on the internet with pseudonymous numpties like you and me just probably doesn't seem like a good use of time at the moment.

Ha ha...he was more than happy to when he was pushing his questionnaires to help justify the closures...;-)

We all miss him and the back and forth we all used to have - he gave as good as he received. I do feel sorry for him as I do suspect he can see the folly of these closures and he did, when he came last came on here, say he was concerned about the inequalities it might be creating. I very much suspect though that councillors have been placed under a party gagging order on the subject and encouraged to hunker down and not talk about it - it's becoming a white hot political hot potato and Labour HQ will be well aware of the damage it is doing ahead of the mayoral and council elections.