Crown & Greyhound

Jellybeanz

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2397787-Reviews-The_Crown_and_Greyhound-London_England.html

Racist restaurant manager, told fully booked but untrue!

If I could give this pub zero I would.

We visited this lunchtime and I wasn't convinced I wanted to try the restaurant as it was empty. However, my husband wanted to try it after its refurb and I agreed. We had been to my son's communion so were nicely dressed (sons in suits and husband, with me and my husband's cousin in nice dresses and jackets). I would mention my husband is British, of Nigerian parents.

However, despite the restaurant being empty aside from people drinking outside the front, the restaurant manager told us there weren't any tables available. We left and I commented to my husband that I'd seen 2 bookings on the list and I didn't believe they were booked up. He was aghast at the suggestion and whilst we went next door to lovely Rocca (Italian restaurant) he gave them a ring. He gave a typically British name of John and was told there would be a table within 10-20 minutes, no problem.

As we had been blatantly lied to, my husband went to speak to the restaurant manager again. He lied again and said they'd had a cancellation. Unfortunately for him the General Manager was there and knew something was not right.

After some heated words, we spoke to the general manager and left.

I am simply staggered that this has happened in such a multicultural area as Dulwich but having now read the reviews about the food and service generally I am glad we didn't eat here.

Shame on the restaurant manager and what a shame this kind of prejudice exists in London.

Think carefully before visiting this pub.

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Everyday racism is like everyday sexism. Still

> here.

It most certainly is. That doesn't make every accusation true, or every misunderstanding or bit of bad service experienced by a person of colour racism.

It's worth noting that the C&G's ratings on Tripadvisor are just awful, with 42% of 256 reviews giving the lowest rating. Many of those reviews complain about incompetent and rude staff. There's even someone complaining about exactly the same issue as jellybeanz, viz being told they were fully booked when the dining room was empty. Reading the reviews (I only know the pub from having a drink outside, never eaten there) it sounds as though just about everyone gets rude and incompetent treatment, regardless of colour, but not everybody attributes it to racism.

rendelharris Wrote:

> alice Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Everyday racism is like everyday sexism. Still

> > here.

>

> It most certainly is. That doesn't make every

> accusation true, or every misunderstanding or bit

> of bad service experienced by a person of colour

> racism.

Even perceived racial discrimination is a problem for the company though.

womanofdulwich Wrote:

> we went to the shard to eat a few years ago. We

> booked it at the only time available. When we're

> were there it was not half full. Often when they

> day fully booked it's a code for"don't have the

> staff".

That's not good enough - I'd suspect (if I was alone) they just didn't want single men (some don't).

Why not just be honest - it's so much easier "we have a staffing issue".

My wife has just drawn me to this chat and I feel obliged to tell my side of the story. I was in the pub yesterday when these guests were screaming in the pub. couldn't wait to play the racism card. We also asked for a table but were told they were full (White English family) and to return at 2pm where there would be a table free for us. We waited at the bar and had a drink and I guess the table these guests were meant to have we were then given. The pub was basically full by 1pm. The manager was very fair with the customers who had no interest of being reasoned with