The Chapel of Rest

rendelharris

On 07/01/2024 at 12:17, malumbu said:

This is generally to celebrate lives not have a pop at people once they have left this mortal coil.

Only celebrate? Don't you mean commemorate?

Death should only be "celebrated" if it's the demise of someone demonic such as Hitler or Stalin.

Surely the thread is a platform for discussing the deceased's  character, merits, achievements and failings plus many other things etc, etc.

We all know they died before anyone has even posted it on EDF RIP, so why limit the thread to posting the record of their passing.

We don't all share the same views. Let us express our feelings freely.

In deed, I use the terms interchangably- no doubt wrongly - but celebrating a life rather than their departure.  Not have a pop at someone.

Pilger was a great journalist, but at times got it wrong, perhaps more in later life.  

Camilia Batmanghelidhjh was exonerated.

www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/09/the-hidden-life-of-camila-batmanghelidjh-why-was-her-exoneration-so-widely-ignored

Not sure why you had to make a couple of jibes.  Was it the time or place?

"Jibes" is far too strong a noun to describe my mild but subtle observations. They were intended ( with a wry smile) to prompt a reader to investigate further. 

Both Pilger and Batmanghelidhjh undoubtedly were well intentioned and fully committed to their  aims. I was impressed in many ways with Batmanghelidhjh's caring and benevolence however she was never   a capable administrator or manager. Her legacy would have garnered more acclaim if The Kids Company had a competent manager in charge.

I am  less accommodating for Pilger. You were correct in mentioning that he got it wrong in later life. He was flawed character. Check out 
PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions

But  I could be wrong on both counts, but then I don't read the Gruniad.

Edited by vladi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ian Amery (born 1944, aka "Tich" from Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich who had hits with such numbers as:-

Hold tight!
Save me,
Bend it!,
Zabadak!,
The legend of Zanadu,
Last night in Soho,
The wreck of the Antoinette

Dave Myers of Hairy Bikers

Dave was born in Barrow-in-Furness, where his father worked as a foreman in a paper mill. He attended Barrow-in-Furness Grammar School for Boys, where he had an inspirational art teacher, Mr Eaton. He went on to earn a fine-art degree at Goldsmiths, University of London, and a master's degree in art history The first motorcycle Myers bought was a Cossack Ural Mars Mk III, with a sidecar, when he was a student.

Myers.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...