Biodegradable Nappies/Reusable Nappies

Hello All,

I have just found out that nappies take 200-300 years to breakdown and decompose and they give off methane gas in that period, I am so upset by this!

Does anyone know a biodegradable nappy brand that decomposes much quicker/better for the enviroment or do people use reusable nappies?

I really hate the idea of contributing to such landfill waste and would like to know how I can avoid doing so as I am about to have my first born baby.

Thanks

I used reusable nappies for my daughter. Other than at night times, odd times when travelling, this was what we used. Once you get used to it, it's really easy. It's seemed hard at the beginning but like anything you will get the hang of it.

I went to one of this nappy mornings where someone talked me through it, and I bought awhole lot. I think there is even still money available from your council to get you started. There is also a host of second hand nappies available.

I eventually gave a whole stash of these away to someone else, so apart from saving the environment and money they can be passed down or sold.

I also used washable wipes and hardly ever used other wipes - just a bowl of water and job done!

I am sure there are biodegradable nappies, but really happy we went down the reusable route.

Here's a link to Southwark and funding for nappies https://forms.southwark.gov.uk/ShowForm.asp?fm_fid=1024

We use Naty which are biodegradable and seem good for baby's skin. We had the same concerns about waste however interestingly when looking into this more discovered that within Southwark all general household waste is sent to the waste management facility not landfill (except 2 weeks a year) so technically it doesn't matter if it's biodegradable or not as it's all burnt and turned into energy!

From veolia:

"General waste goes to our energy recovery facility, where it is used as a form of fuel and incinerated to provide heat and electricity to power local homes. On occasion, if the energy recovery facility is not receiving waste (e.g. for a fortnight a year the facility has a period of downtime for maintenance and repair), the waste might then go to landfill. However, when being used for fuel, biodegradable or otherwise wont make a difference but this is only specific to Southwark residential general waste. I hope that helps"

Thank you all, I am going to look into these options and work out what is best to do. We have a small house and the constant washing and hanging of nappies along with clothes does worry me. Also I read that you have to wash the nappies at 90 which also impacts on our green footprint.

beaming baby nappies look good and maybe the best way is a combination of the two!

Shame that the biodegradable ones are so much more expensive, for a lower income household the choice is between spending more but reducing our waste or saving money but ruining the planet for generations to come! Humph!

Thanks all x

Hi! I hear you... I had the similar feelings for all my babies and I used cloth on all three though for the bigger drinking babies I used an eco disposable at night. It is a little difficult to start off but as other posters have said once through the initial stages of getting ones head around the cloth system it's actually rather fun and enjoyable. The nappies feel good quality and the designs can be gorgeous to look at. I find when the baby is small you require about 20 'fitted' with wraps nappies as there is so much explosive changing that is required with a small baby BUT once the baby is past 5 months it all mellows, slows down and far less changing needed. After about six months I used the Velcro pocket nappies with colourful designs, I found these as quick to get on/off as disposables and loads of people comment on how nice they look during the summer when the nappy was visible. In terms of drying we hung nappies over a radiator airer or hung outside on a hook peg thing to air off before finishing off drying indoors. In the summer it's ALOT easier to dry but both is fine and you know it's not going to last forever. Also you know you can tell your child when he or she is older that you used cloth nappies on them and helped to prevent toxic landfill and air pollution. In terms of temperature I've never washed at 90 degrees. Usually on at 40 with sometimes a 60 to make sure any potential bacteria is killed. If you put them in sunlight it also helps to kill germs and reduce stains. All the best with it whatever you decide but I don't think you'd regret the cloth option as long as you van commit to it from whenever you start...😊💓

I also bought all nappies second hand often from EDF but also found a few in charity shops and second hand baby sales. You can get some real bargains out there (put a few 'wanted' posts up) with a bit of patience and perseverance so done this way it turns out to be a real saver financially and environmentally, with reusing reusables...