How to get a 3 year old to have jabs

kemurf

My 3 year old had her pre-school booster booked in last week and wouldn't go into the nurse's room at the surgery. She was pretty scared. I bribed her with sweets, she came into the room but got upset so we decided not to give her the jab. Then she sees our 1 year old gets hysterical after one of her 3 MMR jabs. So, only one jab was given to our baby at the appointment and none to our 3 year old. I now have another appointment booked in for Saturday for them both (which I'm really looking fw to...). My husband is coming too.

So, how did you get your 3 year old to have jabs? She knows what to expect as she had her MMR booster a few months back; she'll be scared.

Please, any tips welcome.

I don't have experience of this with a 3 year old, but I can offer some advice having overcome some needle issues myself. Hope they seem reasonably applied to a 3 year old!

1. There's no reason you can't use a little magic cream on the area where she'll get the jab. Ask for some EMLA cream at your chemist. Don't them them it's for your 3 year old. If they ask, just say you're having a procedure or some blood taken etc. and you want to numb the site. You should test a small amount on her skin for a reaction - and you could do this at home a few days before the jab - then tell her to pinch herself and she'll see she can't feel it. This may help to build her confidence going in.

2. I gather you've already figured this one out - but don't let her see other children cry as a result of getting jabs! Can you get someone else to watch her while you have a separate appt with the 1 year old?

2. The fear can be environmental - not just of the jab itself. Once she sees where she's going she'll already start to get tense and nervous. Try to avoid the same environment. Call ahead and ask if they can do it in a different room from the last time and make sure they have everything set up to go so she doesn't need to see any preparation.

3. Make sure she feels in control of the situation. Tell her and have the nurse reassure her that you won't do anything until she's good and ready. You can even tell her this in advance so she feels right in control from the start. She just needs to take it step by step. Knowing that no one is going to force you and you can take it in your own time goes a long way. What are the things about the situation she can control? Can she choose from a variety of chairs in the room? Does she want to sit up or lie down?

4. Distraction - if you have a portable DVD player, bring it with her favorite film or TV show. OR maybe a portal game or kids computer? Or just start talking to her and asking her questions as soon as she sits down - what does she want to do this afternoon? What is her favorite flavour of ice cream etc.? Get her talking and focusing her attention on something else and answering questions so she can't concentrate so much on the imminent jab. When she approves getting the jab keep asking quesitons and getting her to talk looking in the opposite direction of the injection.

I hope this is helpful. I think it's great that you didn't force the issue and are going back instead for another try. I can tell you from personal experience that forcing children to have injections can do long term damage.

Good luck and I hope the next try goes more smoothly!

-A

Hi, good advice above especially on the feeling of control and the distraction. What worked for my lo at 3.4yrs:

- Just he and daddy went to appointment so he can have all attention (have 1 year old as well who would just complicate things)

- Told him the day before that he would be getting an injection to keep him safe, told him where and about nurse and showed him on arm. Said it would be a quick pinch or something like thta and most importantly that he would then get his present / reward. He said he wanted cbeebies magazine so we had one ready.

- Told him all of the above again on the day, tried to be matter of fact and concentrating on the present!

Amazingly (imo as I personally hate all things medical!) he went for it all and didn't seem to be bothered by the actual prick - was very excited that he'd had it and got magazine & sticker. Having said that he'd not had an injection that he could remember so I can see it might be harder if she has already got a fear around it.

Now dreading the 12m and 15m jabs for the baby though - I can just see the wounded looks I'm going to get.

Good luck

x

My son had his done a few weeks ago and like Holly bush, I was surprised by the complete lack of fuss. Think important thing is you make it really clear that you don't think it will hurt and you don't think it's a big deal. If you apologise and bribe too much in advance, it will prob scare her more. Not to make light of her fears, but with my son, I mentioned it in passing the night before and said it would stop him getting nasty illnesses in the future and how lucky we were that we had good drs these days. Didn't really talk about it much in the morning, just said we were going and he didn't even squeak when needle went in. Just lucky I guess.

Thanks soo much for the advice and for taking the time.

Apenn, it really helps seeing it from the point of view of someone who has been scared of needles. I'll tell her the day before what is going to happen, no fuss etc, CBeebies magazine, just her amd me or her and daddy etc and hope for the best.

Cheers x

Sounds like a plan! Good luck.

-A

PS - A note on the EMLA cream if it comes to that - that wasn't just me advising on giving medicine to someone it's not really intended for (I wouldn't take it upon myself to do that). A GP once told me to do this for something else for my son when he was less than even a year old.

I don't think emla is licensed for use in under 1yr olds, also, it is just the outer layer of skin that is numbed (jabs go into the muscle) so only offer minimal pain relief.

Having helped with more blood tests/injections than Bugglet's had hot dinners, my big tips would be to concentrate on staying relaxed yourself - is very easy to get stressed trying to calm your child down & the child then picks up on your stress so won't relax.

My other tip is to hold them on your lap facing you with their head on your shoulder and your arms over their shoulders and either stroking the back of their head/encircling their back. The benefits of this are that you can "screen" them from seeing what's about to happen & also it is easier to stop them from suddenly moving/flinching out of the way (thus making it safer for all involved, plus, helps reduce risk of needed 2nd/3rd attempts which heighten the stress for ALL involved. I really like bumpkins comment as well and have seen the significant differences that preparation can make.

Maybe even play Dr's & Nurses with them to help them see it positively.

Finally, if at the Dr's/hospital never, ever, tell a child that if they don't behave the Dr or Nurse'll give them an injection - firstly because it'd never happen, and secondly, injections aren't a punishment! Have had this happen several times and always make it very clear that that won't be the case!

with ours I got her to count and told her that by the time she counted to 10 it wouldnt hurt anymore, she got as far as 7 then looked amazed that it no longer hurt then got on with eating her treat. The next set of injections it almost turned into a game and she was saying lets see if we can do it quicker than 7!

A friend of mine tried it a few weeks later and it worked with her little boy too.

hope it goes ok, so distressing for you too.