can we put plastic plant pots in the new blue bin?

Miacis

Does anyone else think it's (a) ironic and (b) confusing that it is the green bin which is for non recylable, non compostable material?

On a wider point, one of the reasons why recyling etc. doesn't work well in the UK is that every council has different rules, packaging etc. for their refuse - so you cannot learn about it once and re-use that knowledge. When I had to look after my parents (in a different borough) I could never remember how to recyle their material - that borough separated paper from cardboard, accepted cans but not (any) plastic containers and had different colours for their recyling bins. It also collected things differently - so that some recyling was collected weekly with standard refuse, other types only fortnightly. Nightmare.

Agree Penguin68 that blue wheelie bins for the green Eco recycling, brown wheelie bins for green garden waste and food waste bags and green wheelie bins for the non recycling residual waste is unfortunate.

Funny how the original idea of green wheelie bins would make them fractionally more invisible in front gardens now looks like a daft decision. Good decision on the then facts all those year ago.

I have talked to council officials about whether any council has changed it colour coding and whether Southwark could consider changing but they felt it was a none starter. The extra plastic of rebalancing the numbers of different colours wheelie bins compared to any potential increase in recycling.

I thought Recycling was when somebody used a bycycle to visit you, then recycled home.

I heard that there are talks going on with the far East to get Yellow Wheelie bins, for nappies.

"You want nice cheap Wheelie Bin good for top to bottom, empty petty quick, no smelly, neighbour no complain, you send Email we come quick".

Charlie Poo

Is it just me or does anyone else think that we have now converted our streets into unsightly wheelie bin parking lots now?

I know it is partly that I was used to the green and brown ones and it is just a change - I may get used to the blue in time. But at least the green and brown ones vaguely blended in with trees and shrubs in front gardens whereas the blue ones stick out like sore thumbs.

I'm all for recycling, but it does look terrible having anomolous plastic lumps in otherwise charming victorian streets.

And what about the people that have gone to the trouble of building a bin store thingy in their front garden who can't now fit all the bloody bins in?

If we are all generating the same amount of waste (or hopefully less as we become more conscious of food waste) then whilst we may need more receptacles to divide our waste, our total waste holding capacity should not have increased. Are there other options? What about using different coloured bags within the same overall bin?

Senor Chevalier Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it just me or does anyone else think that we

> have now converted our streets into unsightly

> wheelie bin parking lots now?

> I know it is partly that I was used to the green

> and brown ones and it is just a change - I may get

> used to the blue in time. But at least the green

> and brown ones vaguely blended in with trees and

> shrubs in front gardens whereas the blue ones

> stick out like sore thumbs.

>

> I'm all for recycling, but it does look terrible

> having anomolous plastic lumps in otherwise

> charming victorian streets.

>

> And what about the people that have gone to the

> trouble of building a bin store thingy in their

> front garden who can't now fit all the bloody bins

> in?

>

> If we are all generating the same amount of waste

> (or hopefully less as we become more conscious of

> food waste) then whilst we may need more

> receptacles to divide our waste, our total waste

> holding capacity should not have increased. Are

> there other options? What about using different

> coloured bags within the same overall bin?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I totally agree with all that.

I'm all for recycling too, but the streets round my way (terraced houses) look awful with so many bins crammed into such small spaces.

Meant to say, if you have loads of plastic plant pots I'm sure there are schools etc who would be glad of them, why not try a post on this forum!

I got rid of loads that way a year or so back. It's a real waste not to reuse them, unless they're split or broken.

I see from the other thread that James B suggested we can call the Council to get a different permutation of waste receptacles. This seems sensible as what is right for one person won't be right for others. I'll give it a try and see how I can best optimise my own bin situation. That said, it is a shame the default option was to deploy another bin as I reckon most people will just do nothing so the bloody blue bin blight will continue...

If you don't want the blue wheely bin, you can continue to use the existing blue box, and if that is not sufficient for your needs, you can request a second.

As for making your roads/terrace unsightly....funny no one ever mentions about all of the cars parked along the streets looking unsightly....

Just sayin'...

wee quinnie Wrote:

>>

> As for making your roads/terrace

> unsightly....funny no one ever mentions about all

> of the cars parked along the streets looking

> unsightly....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The cars are not all bright blue, or weren't last time I looked :))

I think in time we will probably get used to the Blue Bins. But they've only just arrived so we are surely entitled to our little moan...?

Before the combination of weathering and our habituation means we don't seem to notice them anymore. And then when we go to walk down a similar street in another part of London where they don't have them, and find that it is almost imperceptibly nicer without being able to put our fingers on why that may be... and children playing hopscotch and marbles...the postman doffing his cap etc etc

Maybe we should get rid of nasty coloured cars while we are at it.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> Does anyone else think it's (a) ironic and (b)

> confusing that it is the green bin which is for

> non recylable, non compostable material?

Yes on both counts.

> On a wider point, one of the reasons why recyling

> etc. doesn't work well in the UK is that every

> council has different rules, packaging etc. for

> their refuse - so you cannot learn about it once

> and re-use that knowledge.

Spot on Penguin, couldn't agree more.

It varies so much over here, such a shame that we haven't learned from other countries who are way ahead than the UK on recycling and waste management and have been for years. I can understand why some people don't bother with it. Different 'colour codes' can mean the opposite depending on what part of the country you're in. Its like that well-known crisp company putting cheese and onion in a blue bag, just not on :-S

Edited to add: received the bright blue wheelie bin today and have tried to line it up out the front alongside the other two bins plus blue recycling box...grr.

Well our new blue bin is here and I have to say - I'm delighted.

Loving the size (huge) and the colour is just brilliant!! It really livens-up the boring old 'tree' and other uninspiringly-coloured so-called 'plants' that we go to the trouble of maintaining.

And the best thing is that because nearly every house will have one, I know I'm never going to be more than a few feet away from a massive, stupidly-coloured, butt-ugly plastic monstrosity designed and implemented by a selection of complete retards at Southwark Council.