Mother Goose - Uplands or Greenland?

Hi Caroline

Not sure there is one in Greenland :)) but my son goes to the one on Greendale and he loves it. The staff are really nice and very caring with the children (and parents, as I recently found out when I nearly fainted on the premises). I visited Upland as well when we were looking and I do prefer the Greendale site, although I know lots of Upland parents have nothing but positive things to say about that site too. As you say, the best thing to go is visit and then go with your gut.

If you want to chat a bit more about Greendale feel free to PM me.

xx

Another thumbs up for the Greendale Mother Goose (haven't been to the Uplands branch. My son loves it there and I would agree wholeheartedly that the staff are caring and nurturing. Superficially, the interior decor is a bit tired, but that's what children en masse do to a place! A real plus though, is the outside space which has been thoughtfully laid out and landscaped. Also good access to Denmark Hill and ED stations if you're commuting in to London.

My daughters go to Uplands and enjoy it there. There has been lots of recent maintenance done, particularly in the garden, which have greatly improved the environment.

Staff are lovely and my girls are well settled and enjoy the acitivities they do - would definitely recommend it.

Hee hee....due n February you would think so Otta, wouldn't you? But apparently with waiting lists of eighteen months not uncommon, I am actually a little behind!

Though when one nursery asked me a name I did reply "Blimey, I don't even know the sex yet - will Peanut do?"

Thanks to every one for your replies so far....much appreciated and very reassuring.

ive heard greendale is much better but I have no direct experience.. Also try bright horizons in the sains car park and gumboots on crystal palace road..

you are right to be doing it now, my bump has been on the list for 3 months and Im not due til nov and they all esp the gumboots had a long waiting list.

xx

The mocklet loves Greendale and we've had a very good experience with the place and the staff too.

We left it a bit late and lucked out with a cancellation place when whole nanny share debacle broke down, but waiting list when I was looking in September (2010) was new year for a full time place, so it isn't quite panic mode just yet!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the waiting list to send my son to go to Greendale in Jan (he will be 6 months old), I was originally very happy with the nursery and no concerns until I was called to be offered a place (earlier today). I felt as though I was being pushed to pay the ?200 asap and my queries (as a new Mum) were not welcomed.

Has anyone sent their babies there?

One of my queries was about food - I'd like to bring my own food in for my baby as he will be weaning and only just going on to solids. This idea was discouraged "as parents don't usually bring in their own food" and the lady said that they would just puree whatever the kids were eating that day. When I queried what foods they give babies she said examples were spinach and ricotta or chicken and veg! She called me back soon after to say she had made a mistake.... And that Mums can choose from the menu as to what is given to their child.

This conversation has left me feeling somewhat nervous, however I don't want to judge a nursery on one phone call with one lady. If any one has any experience in sending their babies there I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Hi Jasmina,

I went to look around Greendale today and am in a similar situation to you. The manager was nice, but quite pushy on the deposit and confirmation needed ASAP (tomorrow latest). The response to some of my questions was "it's in our detailled guidelines which you will get upon enrolement", but I kind of want to know the answer before I enrol....

My son may be attending in Jan/Feb at 8 months and I got the impression that it was generally just pureed fruit and veg that they gave the babies. She did say that if we wanted to bring a yoghurt or something in, if we have a particularly fussy one, then that is fine, but again, said that there was really no need to bring any food.

I also asked for feedback on the nursery, and if you search under mothergoose my thread from yesterday will come up. One lovely parent said that they love the nursery.

Hi,

My daughter went to Greendale - just left for reception and she loved it. We were also very happy with her care and development. The food served is all very good, Jesus (the chef) is a fab cook and they grow a lot of the vegetables on site. Admittedly my daughter wasn't there as a baby but the baby facilities are lovely, they have there own garden and spend a lot of time in the fresh air (weather permitting).

I'm afraid the fees/contract side of things is fairly typical for most nurseries, they tend to be a bit pushy to secure the place - unfortunately there's always a long list of people who will take the place if you don't.

If you're not happy with the answers to your questions then I would keep asking them - its not reasonable for them to expect you to enrol and then find out. Saying that their policies are good and we found them very approachable and prompt whenever we had an issue or concern - nothing was ever dismissed.

Good luck with your choice and all the best for the rest of the pregnancy!

Thanks cmacnew and kristymac.

I have to pay my deposit today if I want to enrol my son. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found them pushy for money and had trouble getting answers to our questions.

I just wanted to be able to control what my son eats as he'll only be 6 months and just beginning to try solids, so I'd rather him try different foods individually than a mix of pureed veg. Maybe I'm just a control freak? It's great to know they grow the veg on site and that Kristymac rates the chef.

I had checked the forum ages ago and again last night - there are many posts that give great feedback. I viewed the nursery twice when pregnant but there were questions I didnt think of until my baby arrived.

Cmacnew - did you ask about naps? The manager said it was baby led, which is fine, but mine does try to stay away, then gets over tired, melts down and then sleeps for hours, which is a nightmare at night. So I have him in a routine, currently trying to teach him to self soothe, which should be nailed by 6 months (hopefully) but at this moment he needs encouraging to have morning and afternoon naps.

I'm planning on going there today, the manager just asked me to leave the cheque in the post box outside, but I'm hoping someone else will answer the door so that I can actually go back in and finish off my questions.

I'd love to know what you decide to do and whether you manage to get any further with your decision.

Thanks again. x

• 2 months later...

My daughter is at greendale and is very happy. She started when she was 11 months old in the baby room, but there were plenty of younger ones who all seem well looked after. The staff do try and stick to your routine, especially when they are v young, but your baby may make their own decisions about this. I was adamant that my daughter should have a morning nap as she does at home, but she simply won't go down at nursery because there's too much going on that she wants to be involved in. I wad initially worried about this, but she has adapted to their routines really well and loves it there.

They are pushy about making a quick decision, and I was worried that something else would come up at one of the nurseries closer by - five months later, greendale is still the only one that ever offered me a place. Good nurseries are like gold dust in this area, and until recently I think mother goose was relatively unknown. That's probably changing now it has an outstanding ofsted report...

Both my daughters went/go to the Greendale Mother Goose - one transferred from a city nursery at 2 and was welcomed with open arms (she's just left for 'big school' with KristyMac's little lady). Our youngest started at 4 months (now 2), is still there and loves it to bits.

All the good stuff about the place I'd echo wholeheartedly - some of the admin does seem a little 'encouraging' when you first start, but I think it's better that they have a proper handle on their paperwork than some I've experienced, that were a little flaky and gave us the run around.

They really are a wonderful bunch of staff and extremely accommodating to personal wishes. PM me if you want more info.

Good luck xxx