How far in advance do you have to apply for Primary schools??

Not sure if you mean private or state primaries. Don't know anything about private, but for state schools you apply from the September (until December, you have 3 months to visit schools and finalise your preferred list) before they are due to start school. They start school the September after they turn 4, so in your case your son will be old-ish for his year and almost 5.

I have a daughter who will be the same school year. I'll be applying for her place (hoping that the sibling system still holds when she gets there!) in September 2014. A while to go yet then!!

If you mean private, most of the schools in the area are selective so not waiting list based. For pre prep, I only know ducks where my daughter is and that is indeed based on a waiting list and you'd need to apply ASAP.

For state, what the other posters said.

If you are looking a private I think a lot of the schools have open days which are probably coming up soon, and from there you would get further information on their selection process etc. State is very simple, you can apply now if you child is due to start next September.

Just to add that for state, DON'T rely on being reminded by any official body. As soon as your child turns 3, check out what the application dates will be and put them in your diary...if in doubt, double check each September if your child falls withing the age criteria. It's stressful enough without missing deadlines!

It's a bit like immunisations.....would be good if they reminded you, but with school it's a bit more critical if you forget!!

(Spot the mum with a second child, petrified she's going to do something stupid!!!)