Peckham Rye 1 o'clock club under threat of closure

dondini

Councillor Hamvas,

I'm slightly concerned to learn that there is talk of commissioning a new building for the One O'Clock Club considering how badly the new playground project was managed. We may end up with rainwater pipes pointing upwards!

It's very unfair to blame Conway contractors for the Play River error that will probably never be corrected. The architects should have supervised the works at every stage (that's what they get fees for) and got the design right in the first place. Why not use the vast sums needed for a new building to be spent on running it in the existing one?

Regards,

There would have been a good deal of discussion with the Conway site supervisor and the archtect including site visits, I believe. Don't they have eyes and spirit levels and don't they have tongues to report that the land runs uphill. Conway are more than equally responsible for this shambles

I met with Renata on Saturday morning and caught up on the discussions the council have been having. This has been covered before, but basically, there is money to rebuild the 1o'clock but not to keep the new building staffed & running. This funding ends next April.

2 local Children Centres are in discussion with the council over running the 1o'clock club in the new building. This sounds promising but I think we need to show our support further. This is our opportunity to get involved with the council & influence the plans. I'm going to start a petition so it is clear how many people care about it's future.

Renata has suggested we have another meeting in the next few weeks at the 1o'clock club so she can answer any questions we have and update us on the progress. I think as many of us as possible should go along so the council know we care.

Would Wed 16th Nov suit many people? Please post on here if you're interested in coming along or if a saturday morning would be better?

Thanks

Donna.

Hi Donna, I emailed you yesterday afternoon to confirm. I shall be there at 2.15pm as in my email, and Cllr Catherine McDonald, the Cabinet member for children's services (and possibly others) will attend.

I hope as many parents/carers as possible come to discuss the One O'clock club.

Wednesday 16th November 2.15pm at the club.

I look forward to meeting you all,

Renata

Hello everyone, I have been told by Southwark's council officers that it is not possible to have a meeting in the One O'clock club during its opening hours for Health and Safety reasons as parents are supervising their children in a play session. I am still coming down and will talk to parents outside the club and then we can move into the Cafe. An alternative date/time outside the clubs operational hours will be organised.

Sorry for the inconvenience and short notice,

Renata

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To confirm what Gavin said above, we are waiting

> for an update from council officers re the one o

> clock club. Re the new play area, this was built

> from Play Builder funds. It is geared up for older

> children than the one o clock club. Whenever I

> walk past, it appears to be well used,

> particularly by the 5-12 age group. The swinging

> dish seems to be the most popular item there. I

> will chase up on the fencing issue in relation to

> the new area.

> Renata

I LOVE the swinging dish - prob more than my 20 month old little boy! I would definitely support any action against closure or cuts to the 1 o'clock club on the Rye, would be awful if it shut tho I suspect open again the following day under private ownership (or am I just cynical?)...

There is a meeting at 9.30am at the One O'clock club next Thursday 8th December at 9.3Oam to discuss the future of the Club. Council Officers and Councillors will be present (I shall be attending). Thursday morning was the consensus best option for a meeting given by users who attended the informal meeting with me a couple of weeks ago. For those interested parties unable to attend, I will post the information given after the meeting.

Renata

Dear Renata et al

Oh gawd am so cross I forgot all about it. Hadn't put it in my diary and am of an age where everything has to be accounted for in a schedule. Do hope there was good attendance and good outcomes?

Please post up dates.

Regards

Emma

I posted in this section, as there was a thread here, but it got moved to the family room.

Thank you to the parents who attended this morning's meeting at the One O clock Club.

To those of you unable to attend, local Councillors, myself (Peckham Rye) and Nick Dolezal (Lane) attended. Cabinet members Cllrs Catherine McDonald and Veronica Ward came and Catherine opened the meeting, talking about the severity of cuts to Southwark's budget from central goverment both to our core grant and to Child specific service funding. Council Officer Mike Smith explained where we currently are in terms of the club's future.

Southwark Children's Services will continue to operate the Club on its current stay and play basis until the current building is replaced. The One O Clock club uses a former POW hut, which is not fit for purpose and Capital has been allocated to build a new, for purpose facility for children's activities. Discussions are currently underway with Ivydale Children's Centre re the responsibility of managing the building. This has not yet been finalised, but if it is run by the Children's Centre, a much wider range of child-centred activities wll be encouraged so that the new building is better utilised than the present one. Stay and play activities (ie One O Clock Club) would form part of the package. The council are also interested to hear from alternative providers such as community groups. One person has approached me and I forwarded their expression of interest in the Club.

Renata

Dear Renata

Many thanks for this informative reply. I think we on this thread are now better informed than many of the early year providers who will be directly affected by this building work and change in the running of the centre.

I hope Ivydale CC will be able to be part of the service provision as it will ensure the new building is used by the community and with good management.

Kind regards

Emma

• 1 month later...