c section tips including early discharge, bfeeding and recovery?

nikki73

Waiting for a c section at st Thomas tonight or tomorrow. Keen to spend as little time as possible on postnatal ward. has anyone discharged themselves early or is that a silly idea? Or been told they could go home early.3 to 4 days seems like a very long time to spend on busy ward. any tips on how to make life easier when I get home?I have 2 year old and no family to help. Is breastfeeding difficult to establish post c section?

I went home after 1 night.

Make sure you are up and about and showered by night 1, catheter removed first thing, passing urine no problem and baby is feeding, has had wet and dirty nappies. Finally make sure the staff know at the outset you are keen to go home ASAP. If all the above happens they are happy to discharge.

Good luck

Hiya, every c-section is different, but it doesn't need to be horrible. I had an emergency c-section and recovered very well: in hospital for 2 nights & no physical recovery problems after at all, no pains or problems holding my baby,sitting up, walking, etc. It did take 6 days for my milk to come in which my midwife attributed to hormones which some say are released differently after a c-section but I really don't know if that is correct. Wishing you all the best, Mx

Second getting up and about asap.

Get partner to chase your pain meds and discharge papers like a bear with a sore head.

Have faith that colostrum and lots of suckling with sustain your baby until milk comes in and is best thing to get your supply going.

Keep an eye out for tongue tie if any problems bf.

Take acidophilous (available in health matters) to avoid thrush caused by c section antibiotics.

Hope this helps and good luck! I had a great recovery too and hope you are the same x

Get the baby seen and signed off by the paediatrician asap, and then make sure you're up and about, showered and with all lines removed. Badger the staff, tell everyone and anyone how you feel able to go home, stress that you've got lots of support at home.

Like ClareC, I had an early discharge. 26 hours post op!

I had an emergency c section too but to my delight the recovery wasn't that bad at all. I could bend and lift the baby without any problems. In fact I felt far more mobile and agile than I did at the end of my pregnancy. My milk did take a good few days to come in - not sure if that was the c section or related to the stress of the horrid labour before the section. I only stayed in for 2 nights postnatally- and one of those was spent on the labour ward high dependency unit on IV antibiotics so I was surprised how quickly I was discharged.

When I got home all my family seemed to be obsessed with the driving issue ie how long after the section I could drive. Not sure why, as I had no need or desire to drive anywhere in the early days! There are no definite rules on this by the way - you don't have to wait until your 6 week check. It's more about whether you feel comfortable and able to do so.

I actually think the 6 weeks thing is sort of urban myth and standard 'recovery' time advice - I spoke to my insurance co and they had no guidance on it at all. I felt fine to drive (well considerably more fine than hefting double buggy on bus) so did after 2 weeks. Just make sure you check I suppose.

I guess it is different with different insurance companies - I just phoned mine and they said as long as the Dr did not specifically say I should not drive it was fine with them. Therefore if you want/need to drive, just call them, good luck!mx

Hi Nikki,

I've had three c-sections and breastfeed all three children (still feeding the last one)... I would recommend putting baby to the breast the moment you can hold him/her which should be immediately after surgery when you are in the recovery ward. I had no pain whatsoever, but you might find it more comfortable to have a pillow across your stomach when holding your baby. Also, if you put a pillow under each arm it's easier to hold the baby and not such a strain - if you are in a more reclined position after surgery as you may not be sitting upright.

I also recommend getting up and moving as soon as you can with the help of someone (mw, husband, etc) as that will really help with a faster recovery (as well as prevent any blood cots). Even if it's just walking to the window or around in your room the movement, however slow you might be, is good for you. Stick to the pain meds they give you if the epidural has been taken out (hospital where I went kept it in for a few days and was able to top up, if you can believe), studies have shown that the body heals more quickly if you are not in any pain or discomfort.

I would try to adhere to the no driving for 6 weeks if at all possible. Getting out and about with your baby in a pram is great and gentle exercise which will also aid in the healing.

At home, I had my 'station' at the end of the sofa where I camped out that had my mobile, water jug and glass, extra burping cloths, breastfeeding V pillow and freshly made cup of tea! I lived here for ages with the new born and my husband had to do more with the other children in the first few weeks of being home. I also found it useful to have the bassinet down to the sitting room so that I could pop baby in there when they fell asleep.

Best of luck to you and hope it all goes well.