Advice please - someone damaged my buggy

apenn

Hi Folks,

I find myself in a situation in which I'm not sure how to proceed. Yesterday while my childminder was picking up the kids on her school run, a woman fell into my buggy and broke it. I wasn't there, but according to my childminder, she had to go around the buggy in order to get into the building and was therefore aware of it's location. When she exited the building, she backed out, not looking where she was going and walked right back into it, falling and landing on it (with my son in it). Neither my son nor the lady were hurt, thank goodness.

The buggy on the other hand, is damaged beyond repair as the two main bars that hold the frame together at the back have been snapped. It's a 2 year old Micralite and I was really planning to get a lot more use out of it - with my carrycot for our imminent arrival, and only recent bought a buggy board for our first.

My childminder went back to the school today and the woman said that she had left it at the bottom of the ramp and she refused to accept any responsibility. My childminder says she did not leave it at the bottom of the ramp as it is obviously not a safe place to leave a buggy.

So what should/can I do? I realise accidents happen, but if you don't look where you are going and damage someone's property, it seems to me that you should accept responsbility for it. Certainly if it were a car this would be the case! The situation is of course complicated by the fact that I wasn't there to witness it. Even if she should accept responsibility, it would seem that that I am powerless to force her to do so - or am I?

Thanks for reading,

-A

I was thinking home insurance too.

Personally i would not try and pursue it in terms of trying to look for blame and getting someone to pay for it. You did not see it happen and I doubt anyone will admit to being in the wrong. I would also not try and make any enemies on the school run either - is it really worth it?

I would just put it down to bad luck - gut feeling is the buggy was causing an obstruction - it can be a real scrum at school pick up time so the buggies have to be well out of the way - not just for adults falling over them but mainly kids as they are not usually looking where they are going.

What a pain in the neck but you may find your home insurance covers it - fingers crossed.

You can buy spare parts for Micralites, depending on which bit is broken, so it may be worth contacting them...could save you a few quid. I know they can send out spare axels.

I wouldn't pursue it with the woman either. It was clearly a genuine accident and not malicious. It's not worth the bad feeling in my opinion.

Agree it would be very difficult (and potentially cause a very awkward situation) to try and get money from her. It obviously wasn't a malicious act, and accidents happen. At school pickup at my kids' school it's a nightmare with children, parents, buggies, toddlers everywhere, and even when parked out of the way buggies can be a real nuisance.

You should look into changing your contents insurance, ours covers things outside the house, I reckon it's an essential especially when you've got kids and all the associated kit.

I really agree with Goodliz that you should just put it down to bad luck. It is really annoying when you loose something or it gets damaged and there is nothing you can do - the frustration can stay with you for quite a while. I had a buggy nicked from the buggy parc at Centre Parcs swimming facilities whilst on hols there a couple of years ago and it annoyed me for weeks. I actually spotted the family who had nicked it wheeling their youngest to the car park in it shortly after it disappeared and I confronted them with my tiny tot in my arms. Obviously, they denied it and became v. aggressive (much as it was a common buggy I could see my buggy board links on it and knew it was mine) and I backed off. It was all very distasteful but you need to take the higher moral ground and let this go, particularly as you weren't there. Not great and not the solution you probably want. However if you do let this go it will be over much quicker than if you continue to pursue.

Good luck.

My experience of Micralite is that theyhave fab customer service - they upgraded parts of mine for free at the Baby Show years ago.

I'd co tact them, explain what happened & fingers crossed they will be kind.

I'm really sorry this happened to you, stuff like this can be really upsetting, especially when you are pregnant when things seem to play on your mind lot more.

I agree with others, don't think you should pursue the woman who did it, though I wish you could.

Thanks for all the comments. Lack of any real ability to pursue is pretty much what I figured. Will call Micralite on Monday, but unless they can supply a whole new frame, the thing's a goner. Stay tuned if you are in need of spare parts - there may be an post in the classifieds soon . . .

-A

hi

if she is a childminder she must be registered with NCMA-insurance.

You could ask or have a chat if her insurance NCMA covers this accident ?????Could say that is her buggy or your buggy(dont know witch one is better).

I pay NCMA insurance every year and dont know what covers(silly me):)

Have a try. :)

Thanks, Leta. Have asked about this and will find out next week. Apparently it will cost ?70 to get it repaired by Micralite, so checking the excess on my childminder's policy and any ramifications of making a claim.

-A