Totally FREE! E' Dul Cycle Rides: Sundays 9-30am London Pks & Blue Plaques short rides: Dates TBC

I have lined up two,

yes two....

great blue plaques for the morning and they are both South of the river so we will all be back nice and early!

Clues:

1. London HQ is in SE1, but you would think its by Lambeth Bridge. The Plaque is in neither of these specific locations but very close between both.

2. G'day mate, its been plain sailing for the past couple of hundred years.... well, other than over ruling!

Catch you in the morning.

McCabe

What a super ride this Sunday and with some historical 'Blue Plaque' stops too which were:

1. Superintendent Eyre Massey Shaw - 1861 ~ 1891 (in charge), made change to the new Metropolitan Fire bridge: Soutwark Bridge Rd

2. Vice Admiral William Bligh - 1754 ~ 1817, Commander of Bounty which was famous for the mutiny

OK, rather than alternating the rides between a park, and then blue plaques, I will find two plaques for each of the rides. Ideally one plaque on route to the park, and the other on the way back.

Next ride is to Southwark Park.

McCabe

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a good day tomorrow for the ride!

* Meet for 9-25am for a 9-30am start, Goose Green - Texaco Garage!

* Head to Peckham Library partly via Bellenden Road, then pick up the Old Surrey canal at the library.

* Up to Abbey St, right to Jamaica Road and head to Rotherhithe & Southwark Park for a tea, coffee and cake - YUM!

***Blue Plaques***

* Peek Feans - the renowned biscuit maker who gave Bermondsey the name 'Biscuit Town'

* Isambard Brunel - designed the first Thames tunnel

* The 'Mayflower' - 1620, and....

* Not a lot of people know this.....the birth place of Sir Michael Caine!

McCabe.

Opps!

That extra right hand turn this morning led to a complete circle - well it was an extra burn of calories :-) Other than that, it was good too track down the blue plaques and two extra ones too!

* 23rd June - Greenwich / Cutty Sark and three Blue Plaques

1. Barnes Wallis: Inventor of the Bouncing Bomb,

2. BENJAMIN WAUGH 1839-1908 Founder of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children

3. JAMES WOLFE 1727-1759 Victor of Quebec

McCabe

Ah Ha!

Good news cyclists - the one plaque we couldn't find last Sunday was for the 'Mayflower'. Well, I was in that area today for another reason and had 5-mins to spare so had a look for it again and .....found it!

If you can recall, we came off the main road into cute little lanes - 200m in fornt was a pub called the Ship, then we headed 'right' to the Brunnel Museum. Well about 200m from the Ship pub there is a church on the LHS (St Mary the Virgin), and alas, on its wall is the blue plaque :-)

McCabe

• 2 weeks later...

Cycle Ride

As summer time is almost upon us, the next ride will be the last one until mid September when everyone is back and we are fully complimented.

So, lets do a right Royal Regents Park, do a circuit of London Zoo, and then the parks caf? as they do some great cake! I'm aiming to be on BBC Radio London this coming Saturday morning c.7am to talk about the ride but also the 'best bit of my week', which was going for cocktails at the Brunel museum roof garden where they grow herbs for their drinks.

Charlie, no excuses!

McCabe

Wow, what a last ride it was for summer!!

I think we clocked up 20-miles on the sunniest and hottest day of the year - and boy I really felt it. It was great to track down the Blue Plaques but most of all, great to visit Regents Park too.

**So, what else did we find?**

Well, I never knew where Claridges or Sothebys were until we pasted them today - so that was another bonus. Also, it struck me that I should highlight some of the famous roads we ride along too.

Catch you all in Mid Sept when we resume the rides - I think a nice easy one to Green Park or St James Park.

McCabe

• 1 month later...

Hi to all,

I may be taking a later holiday during term time now both of my daughters are out of school (just don't feel old enough). Can save ?1,000 - Yay!!!!

How does Sunday 15th Sept sound? Also, what about doing Saint James Park as a nice easy one?

If you have never been part of this group, put a comment on this thread and drop me an email on [email protected] so you are added to the email list.

Best!

McCabe

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

There are high winds and heavy rain due for tomorrow - so on this basis I'm going to cancel the ride.

I'm doing this early so you can rearrange your day in advance.

On a training basis, I will be easy riding tomorrow as my running knees are coming to an end :-(. This will comprise of multiple 2-mile flat rides between the Crystal Palace parade and the Hornimans Museum. It's a 1-mile each way with just a tad of undulation. If.... you want a bit of a lung and leg challenge, we can include College Road (the Toll Gate road), I guess this is a 10% hill with perhaps 15% at the top? Decent at the parade and circle back at the Toll gate.

The above are relatively quite and wide roads - the older I get the more I like them :-)

High Viz and [flashing] lights both front and back to be seen by cars at a distance.

Meet at the top of college road at the Shell garage for 10am.

Best!

McCabe